I have been planning on biking to work pretty much since I started my new job and found out that aside from underground bike parking, there are showers that we can use.
Of course, being a wimp when it comes to biking on the cold weather, I keep postponing it.
I have already signed up for the Bike to Work Day on May 16th, but definitely wanted to get my ass out there before then. Since the weather warmed up considerably last week, it seemed like now was time.
I wasn't about to start figuring out routes early in the morning on my way to work, a weekend trial run was needed. Getting the bike out for a 22-mile round trip when I haven't even looked at my bike since October, was something that was met with a mixture of excitement and dread...
Yesterday, I gave in, and out I went. Though technically I live only about 6 miles away from work, on the trails that mileage jumps up to 11 each way, taking the Roosevelt Bridge into DC. Since I don't want to get run over by a car just yet, the extra mileage is inevitable.
The ride yesterday was great. I had my ipod on high enough that I could hear the music (though barely because it was too windy), but low enough that I could still hear the "on your left" warnings and all other noises I'm supposed to be paying attention to. I didn't make it as far down to work, because I was concerned about the ride back, but I crossed the Roosevelt bridge, u-turned at Kennedy Center, and went back home.
I was tired at the end, specially since the last 4 or so miles back consist of mostly uphills, but I wasn't dead. Great sign! Was excited to take the bike back out today, and finally try the biking to work shindig.
This morning, I put on my winter running clothes (big mistake), and off I went. Now, when I run, I warm up within minutes, so shorts + long sleeve shirt is all I need. I put on a vest once in a while when it's in the lower 30's, but anything more than that, makes me incredibly hot and uncomfortable.
Now try biking with that (minus the vest) when it's on the upper 30's and windy as hell. Not good. I didn't realize it was that cold before leaving, or that windy. Plus, my brain doesn't function fully at 7am. Riding against the wind barely dressed? Not fun. Add that to the fact I was riding along the Potomac most of the way, it was really freezing. I was shivering. It doesn't help that I'm slow. And that my mountain bike gets me there in an hour. My whole body, even the supposedly covered parts, was pink (yes, lesson learned).
My butt is also killing me. No, not from the exercise, but from the bike seat. 30-odd miles in less than 24 hours, when butt has not met seat in months? Ouch. Needless to say, ditching bike at work today, and riding it back home tomorrow instead.
A friend offered to change my mountain bike tires to road tires that apparently will make a big difference when riding. I hope so. Though being the fastest was never my goal, it would be nice to get here a tad quicker, and using that time for some extra morning snoozing.
I was a bit disappointed on my morning ride. I always hear of people commuting by bike, so I thought I was going to join this whole underground club of other bikers. We'd have secret signs, recognize each other as we pass by one another, day after day. No such luck. I didn't encounter another biker (or jogger for that matter) for the first 6 miles. Only when I reached the Mt. Vernon Trail, did I see other bikers, but it was still very sporadically. So much for that. I'm sure on my commute back home I'll see others, but more the leisurely riders instead of commuters. So much for my secret club aspirations!
4/14/08
Bike To Work
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
12:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment