A little over a year ago a friend of mine convinced me to tag along to this karaoke bar with her. Karaoke? So not my thing.
Or so I thought.
So I went, and surprisingly had a blast. So much so, that it became one of my regular spots, got to know the owner, the bartender/waiters and the regulars at the place (as I mentioned here). Then last week, while checking up an Arlington blog, I found this: http://whatsuparlington.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-lee-gardens-shopping-center-worth.html
My karaoke place? Will be torn down to build a condo. Yes, of course, Arlington has a shortage of condos, right? I mean come on, we really do need another huge condo building (rolls eyes).
I don't usually like specifying exactly the spots I go to here in the blog preferring my ever-so-mysterious "a bar in Arlington" because you never know who might read this (I know, let's be honest, no one really reads this blog, as the number of comments I get -- between 0 and 2? -- per post proves). But, still, you never know who might come across this.
But here you have it, the awesome dive bar ($2 jello shots!) karaoke spot I go to is the Royal Lee Bar & Grill.
So at my visit over the weekend, I asked about it to Paul, the owner. The Royal Lee? Will close its doors before June 30th, unless he can negotiate another date (which he has been trying to do). Once he finds out a definite date that he has to be closed by, he'll post the last day for us (of course, he'll close it before the due date, since he has to get everything out of the place first). No plans on relocating, as Paul, who has owned the Royal Lee for over 30 years, says that he is ready to retire.
Not that relocating might have been able to recreate the atmosphere that the Royal Lee has, with it's old red booths and leather chairs, teal green walls, dollar bills stuck to the bar's ceiling.
I had tears in my eyes. And I wish I was exaggerating. This became a place that if I had no plans, I could go over there by myself, as I was bound to bump into someone I already know. During the summer, if you show up there with shorts and flipflops no one bats an eye. No pretentious people hanging around trying to be seen. Just a good crowd, that likes to mingle, dance and have fun. I have yet to go there and leave with the feeling that I could have had more fun somewhere else.
As my friend described it, when I sent out an email about them closing: "I can't think of another place where rednecks, military boys and (ahem) yuppie professionals can all get loaded on watered down beer and sing along to "Sway" in perfect harmony."
If you hate karaoke? Well, you don't have to sing. The people on stage are good enough, most songs are of the rock/pop variety, so you can do like me, sing along and dance the night away.
Sure, you'll go home stinking like cigarettes. But you'll have had a great time.
So if you haven't stopped by the Royal Lee before, go before it closes its doors. It's one of the last true dives in Arlington, definitely a dying breed. This one, unfortunately, won't make it through the summer...
4/15/08
One more bites the dust...
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
11:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
OMGOMGOMGOMG! No! I went here once with some Arlington friends and LOVED it! You are right, it is, like, *the* quintessential dive bar. And karaoke!
Seriously, more condos in Arlington? Who even wants to live there?! Um, jk! :)
*single tear*
Now the problem I see? You only went there once? It seems like after I went there the first time, I sort of became addicted...
Now you have two months to get your Royal Lee fix before they close their doors for good :(
If you need a new dive-like karaoke bar, there's always Rock-It Grill in Old Town Alexandria.
You're GUARANTEED to smell like cigarettes if you go there on a weekend night. :)
Mike, I've heard of that place, but haven't been there yet. For me though, Old Town = pain in the ass finding a parking spot.
The Royal Lee sits in one of those open shopping centers (next to ABC Liquors -- told you the place is classy), so there's a big parking lot right up front.
Old Town parking can be horrible sometimes. But, there are a few spots I've found that are always open...I'd just rather not post them in an open forum!
There are a bunch of parking lots in Old Town that are cheap at night ... I usually park at the one on Pitt near King and it's like $2 after 5pm.
Green Miles -- great to know about the parking tip in Old Town! Might need it after Royal Lee is closed down :(
Post a Comment