So I talked about this guy who I found on Facebook who I had dated 10 years ago.
I was up in NYC this weekend, and had made tentative plans of meeting him for brunch on Sunday. After a rainy Saturday, I ditched the old flame for a Sunday morning down the shore instead (I heart Belmar! And 4 years later the same lifeguard is still there. Wow).
Arriving back home after a long car ride on Sunday night, I sent him an email on Facebook, apologizing for changing plans on him. He sent back a reply that he had been looking forward to seeing me (I had no idea he was, actually) and he was going to call me soon to catch up. Within minutes, my phone rang. It was him.
We spent over half an hour on the phone. I joked about the fact that he was 28 dating a 19 year-old girl (he defended himself saying "I couldn't believe you were so young, when I met you I could have sworn you were about 25! You acted and looked 25!" -- which is probably pretty accurate). He remembered a LOT of things about the time we went out, some that even I didn't remember, but once he brought it up, I could remember all sorts of details as well. We caught up on a few things "were you there on 9/11?" "Yes, I was." "I was part of the cleanup crew for one of my company's buildings, and had to help remove the bodies."
Funny how we were catching up on something that happened 7 years ago, but talking to him wasn't at all awkward. It was like talking to an old friend. The reason he disappeared (though he claims I'm the one who did since at some point I stopped trying to contact him on IM -- a girl gotta have some sort of dignity, even when there's little left -- and never heard from him again), was because he had reconnected to an old girlfriend who had sent him a letter (remember those days?) -- she is the one he is currently divorcing from.
I had a great time talking to him, we were both laughing, and it honestly did not feel that 10 years had gone by without a word. I joked that I'm now the age he was when we dated. That made him feel old (insert tons of old jokes here, we used them all). He mentioned how he always wondered what happened to me "you were one of the best girlfriends I had, we never really argued or had a fight" (not something I even remembered, but so true).
Now, love for the beach and bad facebook pictures aside, I wish I had made the time to meet him. And damn, I am still a sucker for a British accent.
8/4/08
Old Flames
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
1:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment