I am one of those people who once in a while decide to put ex-boyfriends or ex-friends names into facebook and see if they have signed up for an account yet. (As a disclaimer, ex-friends are basically those friends from back in the day that I have completely lost touch with -- not someone who I had a falling out with. Do I even have any of those, anyway?)
Back in 98, during college, I used to work for this $10.99 watch store at a hotel in NYC. The hotel's escalator was constantly broken, and one of the guys who worked on it, was gorgeous. Totally my type, nice muscular arms, blonde hair, blue eyes... Hmmmmm...
One day, one of my coworkers went up to him and finally gave him my number (I don't remember the exact details). He then approached me (OMG, sexy British accent!), called me that night and we went out on a date and had a great time.
I was almost 19 at the time, he had just turned 28. Funnily enough, I thought that was completely normal -- I was mature for my age after all... *eye roll* (Yes, if any of my guy friends today showed up with a 19 year-old I would have thought him as a perv. In his defense though, I looked a lot older than my age -- something that was AWESOME as a teen or my early 20's, not so great now.)
I was completely in love with him, and we dated for about 5 months. During the last two months he had lost interest, which now I can clearly see, but at the time I didn't fully get (ah, to be naive again...). I was heartbroken. For months, I couldn't stop thinking about him. When we finally stopped talking to each other (there was never a clear break up) I cried myself to sleep many nights.
10 years later, I am about the same age he was when we dated (freaky). To this day I still always wondered what happened to him.
This week when I plugged his name into facebook, his profile finally showed up. I couldn't see it, of course, since he still lives near NYC, but I sent him a note, he then added me as a friend, and I excitedly checked out his pictures.
10 years wondering what became of him. And he? Did not age well. He is still into the whole bodybuilding thing (the nice muscles are still there), but now he looks like he has a freakishly small head. His face? Doesn't look too cute either. I actually had to pull out my old album to make sure he was in fact attractive and it wasn't one of those "what was I thinking?" moments. (And yes, he was HOT.)
He is still working on fixing escalators and elevators (nothing wrong with that, but his facebook shows that he has been working for the same company all these years!). Right now, he is currently getting a divorce after 7 years.
All these years still wondering about him. And I am actually sad to find out that I didn't miss anything. My life in comparison kicks ass. He hasn't been so lucky.
Now if only other ex's had more uncommon names so I could find them too!
7/22/08
The Wonders of Facebook
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
8:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How deliciously satisfying... a couple months ago I was home in Mass and met up with the high school boyfriend who BROKE my heart. He was still with the girl he cheated on me with, miserable in Arizona and wanting to break up with her, but he was supporting them while she was in school. Yikes. Spurning those advances felt really, really good.
Isn't it always good to know that the one that could've been, never was after all? :)
Ive also searched my for my Exs only to realize...Im not missing much! haha
but! question...what about a 22 year old and a 28 year old? I have my sights on a 28 year old and I feel him hesitating because of my age. Is there THAT much of a difference between a 25 year old and a 28 year old?
Myr, that's up to the guy -- it really varies... Most of my guy friends wouldn't date a 22 year-old since it's the whole "I'm almost 30, she's barely on her 20's"
Post a Comment