I am not engaged, I am almost engaged. To the point that when the proposal finally comes, I fear it will be anti-climatic.
While in Brazil the Boy asked my father for permission to ask me to marry him. I know this, not because my parents spilled the beans (because my mom totally would have told me), but because the Boy himself told me.
So in my parents eyes, I'm already engaged ("he did the hardest part, which was asking me" -- my dad said). There is no ring (he hasn't even bought one yet). And he hasn't asked me.
But the other night in bed, discussing out timelines, which must be coordinated with his pending new job that will require training and a move, the Boy picked November. For a wedding. In Rio. Our wedding. That was 4 months sooner than the timeline I had running in my head.
And because November is this year (!!!) I had to tell my parents "No, I haven't been asked, but can you start looking at the details?"
I also found out that there are tons of things one must do in order to marry in a Catholic church. Much more complicated when the church is in a different country. And the husband-to-be is not even Catholic. (Who knew it was so bureaucratic?)
And now, I'm wedding planning. I can't ask friends for tips and I can't tell them yet to keep November open, because I am not engaged. His friends have been informed of the date, but in my end, still no proposal.
I always dreamed of a romantic proposal with tears. I'm afraid when it happens, the first word out of my mouth will be "finally" instead of "yes"
1/19/10
Quasi Engaged
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
11:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
(Quasi-)Congratulations... :-)
congrats, and suckola.
when the ex and i got engaged, it was a similar situation, in that we kinda agreed to do it before we did it, and i felt the same way about the proposal, but he did it soon after our talk, and even though i knew it was coming, he still found a way to make it special.
hang in there.
i can tell you right now... just because you know that it's coming is not going to spoil it. i knew matt was going to ask me. i knew he was probably going to do it before he deployed, but i put it out of my head because we had decided together that we were going to wait until he got back. but, i still had a very good feeling that it would be happening before.
we had already talked out all of the wedding details, decided on a month, bought a house and did all of this other stuff, everyone pretty much already saw us as engaged, myself included.
i figured that there was NO WAY that i was going to be excited or surprised or overly emotional. i think since i didn't know the exact moment, that it was still amazing. he did it so adorably and in our house and completely unexpectedly.
when i rounded the corner from the hallway and saw him there on one knee with that box? i lost it. i could feel my heart beating in my ears and just this overwhelming rush and oh the tears. it was AWESOME.
vvk - Thanks!
verybadcat & rachel -- I hope you are right, that he can still make it special. I don't want the proposal to be just a formality, I want it to be romantic and heartwarming!
Nothing will spoil that moment. Everyone will ask if it was a surprise, and you'll proudly say you knew it was coming. I think it's kind of nice to be open about those things.
I'm getting married abroad this November too. So exciting!
All I can say is, awwwwww! :o) miss you!
Post a Comment