Ah, the DC 101 Chili Cook Off... She hated it, but I had a great time!!
We got there and there were huge lines to get in, so a pre-party at Cap City across the street came in handy. When we were ready, a quick circle around the block made us discover that there were two lines to get in, one much smaller than the other one that went around the block, where people were rumored to have spent 2+ hours waiting. We even considered jumping the gate, but luckily, the smaller line meant our waiting time was less than 15 minutes.
Once we got in, the beer line was ridiculous, so I quickly gave up on that idea. Our pre-party had made us miss Chevelle, but we got in right in between sets. When Finger 11 started playing, my friend made his way into the mosh pit, I followed him. The lines to get in outside were still ridiculous. I had no idea how crowded the place eventually got.
The picture below shows how packed it got after we were in the mosh pit (this picture taken from DC 101 website, other pictures on this post are my own pictures). To have an idea, when we moved into the mosh pit, the crowd started right in front of where the white tent is (that tent was set in the middle, there was about the same space in front of the tent as there is in the back). My other friends were still sitting on their purple poncho, chilling, a few feet behind that tent.
Into the mosh pit, eventually we got pretty far in, despite being shoved, stepped on and having to dodge from crowd surfers' feet. In a few minutes I had gone from here:
To here:
I didn't know how long I would last, as the crowd surfers were pissing me off, but after Finger 11 ended their set, people started shoving us further in. Being pushed to the front? Never a bad thing... This is the picture I got when Seether was playing.
By the end of their set, I only had one other person in front of me. My friend quickly made his way to the bar, and I got shoved into his back (how to fit 20 people where it can only comfortably fit 5?). Though my boobs were squished way passed their limit, I didn't mind it so much, as we had an awesome view.
RANT: The crowd surfers were still pissing the hell out of me!!! First there should be a weight limit to the crowd surfing thing (gosh, so many fat people were crowd surfing!). We would also see the same folks over and over. There was this short stocky blond guy wearing an orange shirt who I saw 5 times -- I am sure he did it many other times that I didn't see. This guy on a wheelchair went over about 3 times (first time it was cool: "oh look, the guy in a wheelchair crowd surfing!" After that it was just annoying). Girls were getting groped like it's no ones business (I guess you ask for it when you crowd surf...). I got kicked on the head more times than I can count. We don't have crowd surfers in Brazil. If people don't prop them up and carry them through, there'd be no surfing. Bunch of fuckers.
Anyway... When Live came on (whatever, I love Live), my friend was able to make room at the bar for me. Now THIS was my view (the head you see in front of us is one of the security guys):
Of course, we stuck around for Staind (thank god for long beer lines! No drinking = no need to pee!!).

Here is quick shot of the crowd who was also right up front -- I was amazed by how much lost crap ends up front (shoes, sweatshirts, shirts, wallets, ID's, sunglasses, bags...).
Now if I didn't have VIP views, I might not have enjoyed myself as much. But since I was as far upfront as anyone can possibly get, I had an amazing time!!!
The big question of the day, however, was "where is the chili?" -- no one, not even the friends that were left behind, saw any chili, anywhere...
5/14/08
DC 101 Chili Cook Off - a post with pictures!
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
10:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ahhh Live... I do have a soft spot for them. Throwing Copper was the album that hooked me, and I've supported them since (though Songs From Black Mountain was a bit of a letdown.)
I saw them at Celebrate Fairfax in the middle of a coming thunderstorm. They closed with Lightning Crashes as lightning flashed overhead.
I went to 2008's cook-off as well. I didn't see any chili either until the end, over the grassy hill opposite of the stage there were tents and by the time i got that it was all gone, except the people puking it back up, lol. I was about 50 feet from the stage. It was pretty good show. =]
Post a Comment