5/21/08

I *heart* my commute

Really! How many people can say that they love their commute?

Biking to work is one of the best decisions I've made lately. Sure, there are a lot of assholes out there, bikers, pedestrians (why do 5 of you need to walk side by side on a commuter trail? You wouldn't ignore the thick yellow line dividing the lane if you were driving, now would you?) and idiotic drivers (don't even get me started on the idiot who almost ran me over last week, and yelled "get on the sidewalk!" in downtown DC where it is illegal for me to get on the sidewalk -- how come I know my laws, but they don't know theirs??), but take those aside, it gives me a chance to let the stress that builds up during the day, slowly melt off during my ride. It is a great feeling.

It's my 6th week now, and I've been biking every single day. Rain was the only thing that made me join the bus commuters instead. Of course, because Bike to Work Day last Friday was during the pouring rain, I sucked it up, joined the other wet folks out there, realized it was not too bad, and now even rain doesn't stop me from taking my bike out.

At first, my 11 miles each way used to take me one hour, now, I can get to work in 45 minutes (the way home is slightly longer, due to those damn uphills). I get in, park my bike in our underground garage (I don't even need to lock it), grab my towel out of my locker, shower and go upstairs to work. I'm waking up at the same time I do when I take the bus, the main difference is that I shower in the office (in a private bathroom bigger than the one in my place), instead of showering at home.

I'm slightly peeved that my 100+ miles weekly summed up to just a couple of pounds lost, and that my legs are just as jiggly as before. But the peace of mind is better than any weight loss.

Being the only one responsible for my schedule? Now that's priceless. If I leave 2 minutes late, I'm in the office 2 minutes late. No more of "damn, I missed the bus, gotta wait 10 minutes for the next one" or "where is that bus? Is it running late today??" or dealing with the fat person who sits next to me and takes half my seat. Or the guy who forgot to shower yesterday. Or last week.

But what makes me love my commute the most is this... I take the Mt. Vernon Trail daily, right along the Potomac, with the best views of the DC Monuments. I see planes taking off at Gravely Point. I pass by the Tidal Basin, the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial. But unlike many DC commuters, who also pass these sites daily, I don't see them while stuck in traffic and already stressed out. I see those sites, while strolling on my bike, with wind blowing on my face, smelling the flowers (seriously, what are these flowers I've been smelling on the trail?).

On the way back home, the trail is a lot more crowded. A shout out to all those guys rocking their nice bodies taking their shirt off because of the heat (man, I love summer). Now some of you, please put your shirts back on. And the incredible overweight bikers who wear tight spandex? If you want to make you more aerodynamic, the extra weight has a much bigger effect than the spandex... And it makes into a much less shocking sight.

But overall, I have a great view of DC, and tons of eye candy to make my efforts well worth it. I can't believe I didn't start this sooner! (Now if only I could afford a proper road bike...)

No comments: