I can't help it. I try not to repeat the same mistakes I've made in past relationships, wanting reassurance all the time. Of wanting to hear the good things over and over again, assuming that if such things were not being said, it's because they were not being thought.
Looking back at my last relationship, I know a lot of the conflicts were my fault, for the exact reason above. Except when I sought such answers, I would often come back empty handed, with none, which needless to say would then lead to more questioning (even if sometimes those questions were never asked out loud).
Now, with Pretty Boy, I find myself falling into this old pattern. Am I insecure? I try to believe that I am not. I think I am an amazing person, that any guy should be thankful to have. I have wonderful qualities, and the time I spent single left me wondering how can others not see them too. And now that I have finally found someone that appreciates all these qualities, I then choose to spend my time second guessing myself, worrying when the spell is going to end, and he'll realize that I have my faults too. I am, after all, just human.
Don't get me wrong -- the insecurities, the over-thinking, the worrying... It's all unfounded. He has yet to give me a reason to worry. However, I still cannot stop waiting for my next heart break. It could be because it is all so great. Nothing that good can last forever, right? Right?
I keep bracing myself for the day he'll get tired of me, when my jokes will no longer be funny and the time we spent together will be overbearing, instead of exciting.
And I absolutely hate myself for my inability to enjoy the moment, even if it doesn't last. Specially because if it does last and fifty years from now I am looking back to the days when our love was still young, I want to be able to have wonderful memories, and not instead remember what a wonderful insecure mess I was.
And I hate that speaking these insecurities out loud, led to a Valentines Day card describing all of the things he hopes I feel (such as security), instead of the things I was hoping to read (such as how HE feels). And that just made me worry even more. It's a vicious cycle and I cannot seem to get it to stop.
I am scared and have no rational reason for these fears. And am afraid that if I don't get them to stop, I will ruin the best thing that ever happened to me.
2/17/09
Insecurities
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
1:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have felt the same thing and I can tell you the exact reason you're feeling this way. 1 - You're scared (but this is rather minor). And 2, the big reason, is that you don't feel worthy/secure enough for his affections. If you did, you wouldn't worry about him finding out what might be "wrong" with you.
This is not the easiest of cycles to get out of and the only way I did was because Nick (after many frustrating converstations of "do you ReALLY love me?") practically yelled at me "I LOVE YOU, I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE, SO DEAL WITH IT" and that snapped me out of it.
It takes time so in the meantime, just do your best to NOT worry and enjoy his company. When you DO start to worry, immediately stop yourself and start doing something else. Just get yourself OUT of the pattern.
Jo, I think you are exactly right. Hard to get out of the pattern though, when you are capable of interpreting every little thing as a reinforcement of your fears (even when you know the interpretation is far from rational).
You know, despite my fears, I am incredibly happy. But there's something to be said about being completely single and not have the need for reassurance or the worry about what anyone else feels...
You can do it, lady, and you will. It took me a few months to let go. (Yes, AFTER we had already moved in together...) but I did, and you will. Promise!
LiLu, AFTER you guys moved in together? Damn. (Granted, I know you guys moved in together within a few months, but still, damn.)
So I guess I'll finally let go AFTER we get married and I'm on the way to popping out our second kid.
Post a Comment