4/23/10

Long time!

I haven't posted in a long time, and was even considering not posting here again. But I'm still posting about running, and have been posting wedding related stuff, over at the Bridal Bloggette -- but no one else seems to be reading, or even posting, for that matter. So I'm feeling a tad lonely. And for that, I decided that I'll start copying my posts from there into here (editing it here and there so they are up to date), until we're all caught up.

Yes, it'll be wedding talk over at the Beach Bum place! Remember when my life was interesting and full of tales of bad dates? No so much anymore...

And here we go... My first post over there? Appropriately titled "Cliché"

---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ----

I hate to sound like a cliché, but I hope to lose weight before the big day.

I have been the same weight for years now, after gaining tons when I moved from Brazil to the US. It seems that every foreigner that makes their way to the States gain weight. I've tried diets before, with little success. I've always been very active -- I play volleyball (and was playing obsessively prior to meeting the Boy), I run (ran a half marathon last year, two 10 milers, and 9 other races) and I bike (in the summer I was commuting to work by bike -- a 21 mile round trip at the time).

When I started commuting by bike, I thought that surely it was going to make a difference, I was biking 100 miles a week! But it didn't. When I started running longer distances, I also hoped that it would make all the difference, after all, running 3 miles for me is much harder than biking 20 miles! I was more toned, that's for sure, but the weight? Same. The measurements? Same. I was just less jiggly.

So now we are 7 months away from my wedding date, and the thought of wearing a strapless dress, while my jello arms are on show scares me, but not nearly as much as having those pictures for the rest of my life mocking me.

So on a diet I go. It's hard to do when a big chunk of your friends are part of your running group. And runners? Eat like there's no tomorrow. I will have to find the right balance between running long distances and still eating enough not to mess up with the run or my waist line. When you suck up on Gu mid-run just to replenish calories during the run, it makes it hard to later say "no" to all the yummy things you think you earned.

Last month, the Boy and I booked our tickets to Chicago. This year, not only am I running 3 half marathons, and at least two 10 milers, but in October we will be crossing the finish line on our first marathon.

Surely that should help shed those pounds, no?

Let's hope in November, when I walk down the aisle, all the hard work will have paid off...

No comments: