11/3/07

Don't make your problems my problems...

I don't care if you got married too young (and you're 24 and you've been married three years? YEAH you DID get married too young).

I don't care that you don't love your wife.

I don't care that your wife is no longer in love with you either but sticks around for the security being married provides her.

I don't care that you grew up in a small town, and the thing to do was to get married early. And now that you're in the military and got to see more of the world you know there's more out there to life.

I don't care if you're unhappy.

Because while you're still married, I am NOT kissing you, I am NOT keeping in touch with you and I never want to see you again.

Yes, because we were looking at each other for a long time until you sent over a drink and I went over to talk to you. Then we were chatting and totally hitting it off for a couple of hours before your friend mentioned your marital status. Oh, you lost 20 pounds training for the marathon, and now your ring doesn't fit so that's why you're not wearing one? Not my problem.

And once your friend stepped out I totally called you on your shit. "YOU'RE MARRIED AND YOU'RE HITTING ON ME??? YOU JUST HAD YOUR HAND ON MY KNEE TWO SECONDS AGO. WTF? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

And I don't care that calling you out on your shit actually made you more attracted to me. You liked my bluntness. You liked that I saw you for who you were. And you liked that you felt you could talk to me, confide on me.

I don't care if you feel we have a connection.

And I don't care how hot I think you are, and how attracted I was to you, and all the butterflies I was getting on our conversation until that point. I can be your friend, but I won't be anything else.

But you trying to kiss me?? That won't happen. Insisting on it? Forget about that idea of me even being your friend. Because I don't want to feel guilty the next day, and I don't want to be the reason for your guilt (oh, you won't feel guilty? Really? You SHOULD).

Yes, you're unhappy, but there's always divorce. But I won't be the reason for it. If you are still married it is YOUR choice. Don't make excuses for it.

And most importantly, don't make YOUR problems MY problems.

And when I dropped you off at your hotel and told you to please leave my car (maybe driving you around town wasn't the best idea after all), yes I never want to see you again, yes, I'm attracted to you, you know that because we were totally hitting it off before the M-bomb came out. But so what? LEAVE. You're MARRIED. "Just give me a chance, lets talk, I never felt this before for anyone else" -- I don't care. Get out. Stop insisting. Now you're just freaking me out and sounding desperate. GET OUT.

And then you finally (finally!!) stormed out, banging the car door, pissed off that I'm "throwing everything away, we had a true connection" -- I breathed a sigh of relief. Because I can still live with myself. Because I wanted to kiss you too, god knows I did. But I didn't. And I won't. And I am glad I didn't give you my number, my email, nothing.

Because I was tempted to make out with the hot guy with the amazing blue eyes I had been eyeing all night, but I knew it was wrong. And I was strong enough to stick to my principles and walk away. And we will never see each other again. And that is a good thing.

Now stop giving excuses for your behavior. Marriage is a choice you make, and every day that you're married is a choice you keep on making -- the only person responsible for your happiness is you. I got nothing to do with it. You are on your own with that one.

Good luck -- hope you either work things out with your wife, or go for the divorce and go be happy. You're 24, you have your whole life ahead of you, and I do wish you the best. I really do, even if I will have no involvement on that decision.

3 comments:

vvk said...

people suck some times... don't they...

doing the right thing sucks some times too... but at least you can look yourself in the mirror in the morning.

Beach Bum said...

What pissed me off is that I ALWAYS do the ring check, but he wasn't wearing one, and we were talking for a loooong time before his friend mentioned he was married.

On the bright side, he is from out of town, so there's no chance of me bumping into him again.

Anonymous said...

I thought girls liked married guys because they were unavailable. Plus there was that seinfeld episode with george