7/11/08

1 Week, 3 Dates

Right after I got dumped, I decided to take the plunge and go back to online dating. This time for real. No getting lazy and not replying to emails. Reply to everyone I like on the same day.

I also texted this guy again, and was supposed to meet up with him. We have not talked to each other since a few failed attempts on meeting up back in January, so figured I'd give it a shot. (No luck so far, it's been a busy week for me.)

Here's is the round up of this last week...

-Date #1... Met this guy at lunch time, who I was supposed to have met up with at karaoke a couple of months ago, but he took a nap after work, didn't wake up in time, whatever. Other plans to meet later didn't go anywhere. So, decided I had nothing to lose, shot him an email, and because we work near each other, we met up for lunch.

He looks cuter in his pictures, he could be taller, slimmer, fitter, but none of this was a deal breaker. A good personality would definitely put him on the other side of the fence. One thing that took me by surprise, however, was that he is hearing disabled. And he never mentioned anything ahead of time. You'd think he would say a "hey, FYI..." before the date. But nope. Nothing. (And now I think that was probably why he never showed up for karaoke that time...)

I hate myself a little bit for letting it bother me. I would like to think I'm not that vain. But the whole time I was very conscious of speaking loud (which is something I already do anyway, yay for being Brazilian), enunciating my words (I'm usually a very fast talker) and not covering my mouth while I speak (we were eating).

Funnily enough, that didn't bother me as much. It was the fact that I had a hard time understanding him that made it awkward. He spoke very low, and obviously he was not eloquent. So there was a lot of "what?" "what?" going on during our conversations. Said that, I'm not sure if we even have a lot of things in common. When we were talking about me biking to work, he admitted he'd never do it, because he's just lazy (his commute by bike would be shorter than mine. Right now he drives AND takes the metro). One thing I'm not is lazy when it comes to these things (though I admit that I'm lazy about a lot of other things, i.e. cleaning my apartment).

Anyway... He sent me a nice thank you email, admitted he was nervous, asked to do it again. I said I'd be up for another date (I'm not ruling him out, and think he deserves a chance). We have not set up another date yet.

-Date #2... Very well traveled, we have a lot of things in common, including the love for sports. I met up with him at a bar in DC on Sunday night. Physically he was not my type at all. Though he was not attractive, he wasn't a bad looking guy either, mind you, I was just not feeling it. We had great conversation (on the intellectual side, which is unusual for a first date), but no chemistry whatsoever. I also thought that the way his spoke was a bit effeminate. I am picky with voices, what can I say...

A big turn off though, was when the check came, I asked him "how much do I owe you" he cracked up and said "what sort of dates have you been going to?!?" -- I thought that was very rude. Regardless of whether he'll pay for it or not, I still think it's my obligation to offer. Ridicularizing me just made me feel uncomfortable.

He asked for another date, I said sure (we'd get along well as friends...). Have not heard from him since. I'm ok with that.

-Date #3... Yesterday. Was so not looking forward to it, his picture wasn't that great, but we had a few things in common, so why not give it a try. Luckily, he actually looked better (much better!) in person than in his picture. Very cute. We had a great time at drinks (never running out of things to say), then later met up with a couple of friends at karaoke. He got the thumbs up from my friends as well. Wants to go out again, "how about tomorrow?" Though I have plans, I might be able to bring him along tonight... Ended the night with a good night kiss :) Now let's see if he is still interested today, and will in fact join us. I'll find out!

There are still a few other guys who I'm talking to online that I might plan on meeting soon. Some of them are hard at actually asking me out (why oh why would you go on a dating site, email someone, but never make plans on meeting?). There's one that physically is absolutely my type (I go for blue eyed blondes...) and wants to plan on meeting next week. Of course, excitement ahead of time only leads to disappointment, but you never know...

Stay tunned... Until then, have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Looking forward to more stories!

NikkiJo said...

How many dates on the book for this week?

Crazy dating fools we are.