6/17/09

I'm a domestic goddess

Ok, domestic goddess is a humongous exaggeration, seeing that I'm having a problem with the gnomes. But this week I finally started cooking...

The boy and I have been talking for months about making our own dinners instead of eating out or sharing take out. We ended up buying a few frozen dinners for convenience, and though the calorie count was good, it would leave us both unsatisfied.

Then finally -- finally! -- this weekend we took a joint shopping trip to the grocery store with a few things in mind and stocked up.

I should note that I don't cook. I know how to cook, I just choose not to. If you put a recipe in front of me, no matter how complicated, I can successfully do it. But cooking for myself? I very rarely get the urge... Not worth the effort and the cleanup, I'm fine just spending a few minutes making some freshly popped popcorn and having that for dinner.

But cooking for someone else, with someone else? I actually look forward to spending that hour with the boy, chopping things up and getting dinner ready. The bonus? I then bring food to work the next day, so I save money (and eat healthier!) that way too.

Yesterday, it was my first attempt at spaghetti squash. It was surprisingly easy! 10 minutes in the microwave, and voila, I have spaghetti. I made it with a Brazilian white sauce mixed with parmesan, broccoli and mushrooms, added some grilled chicken, then chopped fresh tomatoes to sprinkle on top. It was incredible. Indulgent, delicious and it tasted like real spaghetti with alfredo sauce...

Monday we had marinated flank steak with steamed veggies and corn on the cob. Today, we're trying out these noodles that I keep hearing about (40 calories for the whole bag? Sign me up!). We're stir frying them with the veggies and the left over steak. Let's hope these noodles were worth the wait...

My mouth is watering for the left-over from yesterday... Way better than the Chef Boyardee I had been ingesting lately...

No comments: