6/16/09

A new pet peeve

Every day, on my commute back home, the Mt. Vernon Trail greets me with headwind. Not just a nice cooling breeze, mind you, but a "OH MY GOD, IT FEELS LIKE I'M GOING UPHILL THE WHOLE EFFING WAY BACK HOME" headwind.

I hate it. HATE IT. Hate it.

But for the last couple of weeks, I am finding people on the trail trying to take advantage of my struggle.

I see a bike approaching as I'm sweating my ass off trying to keep up a somewhat normal speed (have given up on trying to be fast...), and then the bike never passes me. Instead, the biker stays glued to my butt, two feet behind me.

WTFF? Seriously. I don't know you, don't draft off me. If I'm killing myself, you better kill yourself too instead of trying to benefit from my hard work.

It pisses me off. It's distracting. This is not a race, so get off my ass!

I'm now the bitch that suddenly starts coasting and waves them to pass me. Sure, I lose a few seconds of my time, but unless I can fart on command to make them really regret drafting off a struggling stranger on the trail, this will have to do it.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

That headwind is the worst part of commuting south in the afternoons. I don't mind people drafting off of me, that's all part of the cycling community. However, the favor should be reciprocated. If I do it for a little while, I will then pull out and let that person draft off of me. It is all part of a give and take out there.