6/10/09

And it's still good...

I just realized it's been well over a month since I last posted anything ick!

Not much has happened since -- things with the boy are still great, we have gone on 3 trips together (NYC, a week at the beach in Nags Head and camping in Assateague), and aside from him being moody during the camping trip, we got along great hanging out 24-7.

We see each other pretty much every day, and yesterday, for the first time in weeks, I had to sleep by myself and it just felt weird, lonely and cold.

My parents arrive in a month and a half and I can't wait for them to meet him. He is nervous about it (apparently having a four-star general father who used to be a fighter pilot could be a tad intimidating to guys...), but I can tell he is also looking forward to it.

In December, I am finally visiting my family in Brazil for xmas and NYE (haven't spent xmas with my family in 12 years!), and the boy is tagging along for part of the trip so we can spend new years and our anniversary together. I can't wait to show him where I am from.

He continues to be the highlight of my day, and can instantly brighten any bad day. That karaoke night seems ages away!

I know single people hear this all the freaking time, but it 's true: you never know when it can all change. You DO meet someone when you're least expecting it. And there really is someone out there for everyone.

The one that I still don't agree with is "when you stop looking, it will come." That's bullshit. If I was home on my couch watching TV instead of going out with friends, I would have never met anyone. You have to put yourself out there. And it's frustrating. And it's tiring. But you never know when you'll bump into the one. I was single for 3.5 years. 3.5 years!!! Sure I dated, but nothing I could call a relationship during that time.

I was at the point that I was really thinking that maybe I would be single forever. I went over 3 years without a boyfriend, how easy would have been that those 3 years became 30? I have an aunt who's in her mid-50's and has never been married. Still live with my grandparents. That could have easily been me -- it scared the hell out of me.

Though I was happy while I was single, I am much happier now. Who would've thought? I don't have a lot of free time to myself now, and I don't mind it at all. The boy really is the most loving and supportive man I have ever met. And he makes me laugh all the time.

Nights at home doing nothing but talking and laughing replaced many nights at a bar, so my life is not nearly as exciting as it was when I was single, looking. But damn, it's freaking awesome!

3 comments:

Average Jane said...

Thank you. Thank you for finally admitting that the whole "when you're not looking you'll meet someone" myth is just that... a myth. I think there's a fine line between "looking" and "Trying too damn hard". You, for the first time in a long time, gave me a tiny bit of faith that I may find someone after all. Maybe.

Beach Bum said...

That always bugged me. Was I looking to meet someone that night? Not really. But was I not looking at all? No. I wasn't in the mood to go out, but out I went anyway, because you never know. And who would have guessed I would meet the love of my life at a dive karaoke bar in Arlington?

Beach Bum said...

Hmmm - looks like there's more than one of me out there ... looks like we've got something in common then ;)