12/9/09

Christmas 09

This will be my first Christmas with the Boy. (Can you believe it's been almost a year since we first met?) Except, of course, I will be in Rio with my family, and the Boy will be in a boys' trip in the Yucatan (planned before we met, "the last boys' trip" he says, seeing one of the "boys" will be a father in just a few more months).

The Boy is meeting me in Rio a week after I arrive. The week without him will be spent catching up with family and friends, and of course, consumed by thoughts of "when he gets here, I have to show him this" and "when he gets here, he'll have to try this."

The last time I spent Christmas with my parents was in 1998. The last time I spent Christmas in Brazil, with my whole family, was in 1996.

Not by choice, of course. In college, I had night classes, and my last final was always on the 23rd, at night. Seeing that flights to Brazil are overnight (best time ever for long flights), and that xmas eve is the "big" thing for us, a flight out on the 24th would be pointless.

Then I couldn't take time off because I had just started a new job. Or, during my years working for the Brazilian Government in DC, the gotta-work-12-hour-days period was always in December (our fiscal year happens is the same as our calendar year). Then I was at a new job again, and couldn't take the time off.

This year, finally, I will be joining my family. I know it won't be like the holidays I remember, my mom has warned me of that too. Family is older, too busy, not as joyful. It will also be the first time I go to Brazil after this happened. And not having my grandfather there will damper the holiday spirit. But for once, I will be spending Christmas with family.

The Boy and I will be having our first Christmas together this Sunday. We might be a tad hungover after my Company's holiday party (free food and open bar? With signature drinks in each room??). Not sure what our own menu is yet, but we might do it easy and just have fondue. We'll be exchanging gifts then. From the time our xmas starts, until we go to bed that night, there'll be no moving business. Just the two of us (and, well, Lucas). With xmas music in the background, of course.

And I'm totally looking forward to it.

2 comments:

verybadcat said...

It sounds lovely. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.