10/17/08

Biking in the dark

Yesterday I stayed at work an extra half hour and decided to suck it up and bike back home, even though I knew I'd be arriving home in the dark.

I don't know if I can keep it up through the winter... Riding at night was a little scary. I was of course very aware of cars behind me, as their light would hit me well before they were near me, and I wasn't sure how visible I was to them. Despite taillights and headlights I still did not feel visible enough... Having to change my route slightly to avoid the wooded trail near my house and take the Four Mile Run trail instead, I had to cross more streets, worry about turning cars, and ride a tad longer on Columbia Pike -- which is never a pleasant experience.

Riding on the trails wasn't nice either -- I couldn't see all the bumps and potholes (my brighter headlight is not installed yet) and about half the people on the trails were riding without any lights. Not only they would pass me with no warning, but I also couldn't see them coming: in the dark, when I looked back, I couldn't see them at all. Geez, you can buy a cheap light for ten bucks, seriously any cheap light is better than NO light.

My hopes of riding during the winter are dwindling... Unless I find someone to ride with me, I might be back at the bus for my commute...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I'm even going to keep up going to the gym in the winter. Damn you, earth's axis!

Beach Bum said...

I haven't been to the gym in months! I always go a lot during the winter, then stop during the summer (since I just do stuff outside instead). Always hard to get back to the gym routine, but it reminds me... I should start going back already. Damn. I hate this weather.