Before getting home and finding out these news, I had spent most of my Sunday ecstatic about finishing the 10k.
I know for some, running 10k is not a big deal. Maybe one day I'll be able to claim that as well. But for me, being able to run all 6.4 miles, without taking a break, was a huge accomplishment.
I was supposed to have trained for it. I went off on my vacation to Europe carrying plenty of running clothes and a training plan in hand. I was sick the week I left with a slight fever, arriving in Barcelona at the tail end of it. Since my nose was stuffy, my throat was scratchy, my body was achy, and the flight had not helped me get any better, I decided not to run, even though the boardwalk at the beach with others jogging at all hours of the day, was oh so tempting! I would start running in Greece.
Somehow while leaving Spain and arriving in Greece, my foot started to ache. It was not swollen, I had not done anything to it, but there were times the pain was unbearable, it sent a shock up my legs with every step, and even on my birthday I had to say no to sightseeing in Athens and chose to stay in the hotel instead -- and yes, and I cried my eyes out when I was left alone, nothing scarier than getting excruciating pain for an unknown reason (is it temporary? Will I have this for life?? What is wrong with me???).
Unable to walk without pain, running was out of the question. And so I spent 2 weeks of my vacation limping in pain. Three days after getting back to DC, when I was ready to make that doctor's appointment, the pain started to subside.
I gave it a good week of rest to it. Then I got afraid of running (since the pain started while wearing running shoes). Then I hadn't been running in so long that I just got lazy.
So after running a total of probably 6 miles in the last month, it was no surprise I had no intentions of actually running the 10k. I mean, the most I've ever ran was 5 miles, and that was months ago.
I knew amidst the excitement, I could run a 5k. That was my goal. After that, I would walk, or run-walk, or whatever was I could handle until I crossed the finish line.
But race time came, and by the 1st mile I feared I'd be giving up well before the 5k mark (why is the first mile the hardest one??). But when I hit mile 3, I figured "eh, I can run another mile..." I had the same feeling at mile 4. Crossing mile 5, I was finally tired, but after running 5 miles (!!!) I could do another mile and a half. And so I finished the 10k without taking a break to walk.
Yes, my pace was even slower than usual. And yep, I was so sore on Sunday night and all of Monday, that I could barely walk.
That morning at the start line, running the whole thing was never my goal. My goal was much more realistic. I surprised myself and beat my own expectations.
I wasn't dying afterwards. So much so, we kept on walking around Rosslyn grabbing the many freebies that were being given out, then went off to cheer on my friend who ran the marathon, then walked some more. And all I could think of, was that my goal from last year, to be able to run the Cherry Blossom 10 miler, is way more attainable than I expected. Because on Sunday? I could have finished a 10 miler. Not by running the whole thing. But if I can run 6.4, I could have certainly walked the remaining 3.6 miles afterwards.
And with proper training? There's nothing I cannot do. So I missed the sign up for the race last year, and then the running club did not work out. And due to a record number of injuries this year (yep, there were more after that post), I also had to give up my spot in the Army Ten Miler as well.
But next year? I hope to conquer both.
And I want to train for this triathlon (I wish I was kidding).
Some of my friends think I'm crazy. Others are tempted to join me (this triathlon training is totally doable). If any of you reading this want to tag along, let me know. I can definitely use people to train with me so we can motivate each other!
When I heard the news about my grandfather, the first thought that crossed my mind was "it was him, it was him pushing me towards that finish line." And maybe it was.
10/29/08
MCM 10k
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
10:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
10k = 6.2, not 6.4, miles
You're right. Somehow I had in my mind that 5k was 3.2 so I was just doubling that.
The 0.2 difference that I didn't run is the least of my worries, to be honest. It's the 6 miles I did run that I'm proud of.
Great job with the run!! I am sure that your Grandfather was there pushing you along.
Check out www.dctriclub.org, some good resources there.
Hey Tyler, thanks! I had looked at dctriclub, but it's soooo DC centric (and I hate coming to DC when I don't have to be here for work...). I had no luck finding a training group in NOVA :(
Very true, it is pretty DC centric. There are a bunch of people on there who live in Arlington though.
Here is another one, I am not sure where they are located though. http://triteamz.com
And there is always the http://www.tricats.org/ but I think they are based out in Reston area.
Post a Comment