4/8/09

Are you black?

"Are you black?"

This was a completely serious question, with not one hint of sarcasm, that my boss asked me this morning, after a meeting, while looking up to my pale skin, freckled face and blond hair.

WTF?

Apparently, the fact that I'm Brazilian confuses her. What, that I come from a country that was born out of immigration, colonized by Europeans, and just as the US also have citizens of every shade?

She, being Nigerian, should know the ethnic difference. I, having a German/Austrian background, have not one ounce of black on me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

However, not being able to tell the difference between Nordic features and African features when there's nothing about me that's "in between" or "unclear" or even "mixed" for that matter -- now that is a problem.

And that's why, when explaining to her rules and policies that my bureaucratic organization thrives on, is so hard to make her "get it" and makes my job a tad harder and a bit more hellish.

But it was worth for some late morning laughs. After a stunned silence, all I could come up with was "Uh, no. Can't you tell???"

Definitely the first, and most likely the last, time I have been asked that question.

6 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Okay- as someone who knows you IRL, that is about the most retardulous thing I've ever heard. Jackassery abounds...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this confuses me. Are people really that stupid?

Dmbosstone said...

People ask me if I'm Chinese/Japanese/Koren

just because I'm Asian doesn't mean we all look alike.

Beach Bum said...

LiLu, I knew you would appreciate this one!

justjp -- looks like people really ARE that stupid.

Dmbosstone -- the Asian part at least makes some sense. I'm pale, with freckles on my face, and have (real) blond hair. My dad is German with blond hair and blue eyes. My mom has light brown hair and hazel eyes. There's nothing about me or my heritage that is remotely black -- I'm not even a "dark" white person.

vvk said...

The term 'Black' isn't as well defined in some parts of the world. I've run across a couple of people over the years who think that the term 'black' refers to all non-white minorities.

Beach Bum said...

vvk -- I'm far from a minority! And there's no stretch of the imagination that can make me non-white.

Again, German-blooded, pale, freckles, blond hair... The only thing that's unusual about me is my ridiculously dark brown eyes.