4/13/09

I'm back!

No, no, no, not back blogging. For that, I'll maintain the inconsistency that this blog is known for.

It was a long winter, and for almost 5 months, I did not bike to work. Sure, I tried, but between the freezing cold weather and the absolute darkness on my commute, it was safer, even with all the fancy expensive lights, to suck it up and go back to taking the bus.

Finally, with the time change, slowly the days became longer and biking again became more and more viable. But of course, I was training for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler so not only I needed to concentrate on running, but I was afraid that a bike injury, so close to the race, might not be worth risking.

So today, exactly one year since I first biked to work, I biked in.

For some reason, I was TERRIFIED. I'm not sure exactly what I was afraid of. Maybe it was of falling, or maybe it was just plain failing. Maybe I was afraid I would no longer like it. Or that I won't keep up with it. I remember loving it last year, and remember how much I missed biking when I stopped. But lately? I haven't really been missing it much.

Yesterday, I pumped up my tires, checked all the fittings, got my bike bag together, greased the chain, and promised myself that today, I would bike. I wasn't even excited about the thought, I was dreading more than anything, but I couldn't start up again after I started last year.

My heart was beating fast this morning, I was still afraid. I got ready slowly, took my time, made sure I wasn't forgetting anything. Got on my bike only to realize I was underdressed for the weather (stupid 40 degree weather does not mean I can wear shorts and fingerless gloves when biking, ugh), but out I went.

And you know what? It was wonderful. And it felt like not a day had gone by. And there was even more people biking then there was at this time last year.

Sure, I was a tad more tired than usual, and I had to relearn which gears work best for which hills again. But it was great.

I even tried the brand new tunnel under 395, which will certainly make my ride faster AND safer (sooooo many close calls crossing Glebe Rd before...)

I'll be taking it easy for this week, just as I did last year. Biked in today, biking back home tomorrow (and I'm scared of the ride back now, WTF?), probably taking Wednesday off to run after work instead, then biking the rest of the week again. Next week? I should be back in full force, both ways, every day. I just have to figure out how to bike from the Boy's place in Ballston.

But after being so scared, I'm totally looking forward to biking more often, it's great.

So me and my bike are back. And I might be blogging more, about other random bits as I used to before.

The running? I won't stop like it did last year, thanks to my running group -- the people are freaking awesome.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Congrats on being back! Glad to hear you are giving it another go.

I still have not taken the new bridge under 395 yet. Various things have keep me from biking in, but I hope to start up again soon.

Ballston isn't too bad to bike from going into the city, it's the coming home part that is up hill!

Beach Bum said...

I remember the uphill part, but didn't know it was only on the way back... (All I remember is going uphill/downhill/uphill/downhill so thought it was even both ways.)

That might just be doable then.

The tunnel is great -- only really feels like a tunnel right under 395 (pretty dark), but the rest is mostly outdoors. Only one side closed off, the side of the creek is open, like it is under Rt 1, so not too somber.

rachaelgking said...

I am terrified of going to H&R block in 5 minutes.

Here's to facing our fears!