4/22/09

Goals

Turns out this post about being back biking was a tad premature. DC weather has sucked, so all the rain last week and this week kept me away from the trails and catching the bus instead. I ended up biking back home on Thursday and Friday was able to do the round trip commute.

Today, I finally biked in, though I got caught in the rain (stupid stupid DC weather). If it's raining tonight I'll probably wuss out and bus back home instead (though I do have a quick half hour run planned for tonight, rain or shine).

Last year, I went from biking 0 miles a week to biking 100+ and didn't lose a single pound. Sure, I didn't diet either, but my weight was stable prior to biking, and I wasn't eating any extra, so it should have made some difference. (Fucking screwed up metabolism.)

Hopefully this year the biking AND the consistent running with the running group will make a difference.

After almost 4 months of asking, this weekend the Boy finally bought a bike. He's also joining my gym so we can go work out together ("what are your goals? We'll help each other, we're a team." he said). He's working on getting himself a six-pack, while I'm just hoping to tone up a bit and lose weight (since I'm nowhere near having defined abs myself).

So biking, running and then hitting the gym a couple of times a week... That HAS to make a difference, no?

And I bit the bullet and Friday signed up for the VA Beach Rock n Roll Half Marathon. Let's hope I can run a Half Marathon by then... And if I lose at least a bit of weight, it should definitely make the running easier and hopefully faster (since you know, I won't be carrying as much with each step).

Now the Half Marathon? Less than 2 weeks before my 30th. How's that for a good goal? I'll be hitting my birthday still broke, but likely fitter and not single. Though I won't be spending in Greece like last year, it will be a great improvement from my 29th birthday. And hope that every year after that, my life is just a tad better than the year before.

Little by little, things might be finally falling into place. My life feels a little more complete.

Now if only my job search pans out...

3 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Wait... job search? You mean IN the company, right? Don't leave me!

Marissa said...

Your life sounds a lot like mine right now. A bit of a transition period, but a good transition :)

About the biking and not losing weight thing: I'm like you in that my weight is pretty stable, but as I age I'm noticing my metabolism, which used to be AWESOMSE is not becoming, I guess more normal. So, I can no longer eat a whole pizza in a sitting and a bag of Oreos and remain a size 4. Damn aging...

I've found the biggest difference in toning hasn't been all the biking, but in what I'm eating. I've cut out soda (save for those rare occasions when an ice-cold Coca-Cola sounds just right) and basically only drink water. And a lot of it because it fills you up so that you can't eat a whole pizza. Speaking of pizza, I don't really eat that any more either. I've started making most meals from scratch so I know EXACTLY what I'm eating. It's weird how many things have unnecessary starches added to them and corn syrups, etc. It takes a little more time, but I find it completely worth it.

Dang. Sorry for rambling!

Beach Bum said...

LiLu, I do mean IN the company.

Marissa, I haven't had soda since right before my 15th birthday (decided to quit, including the diet type, never thought it would last, and turns out I never missed it). So I do drink a lot of water.

I never had a great metabolism, and I've never been a size 4! I gained tons of weight when I first moved to the US 12 years ago (I used to eat much healthier) and since then, I have not been able to do anything to get back to what I was -- both diet and exercise have failed to make a difference.

(I do have to start cooking at home more often, if only to eat healthier.)