1/5/08

The Friend With Benefits

So after months on a dry spell, mostly because after the ex I truly wasn't ready to meet anyone taking me ages to move on, I met this guy through yahoo. He was gorgeous, and though I have a thing for blondes, his dark brown hair and baby blue eyes suited me just fine. The fact that he had a body any girl would swoon for didn't hurt either.

The first time we met was at Starbucks, and then we ended up at Target roaming around like kids. That night before I drove away, he kissed me, and he definitely knew how to kiss me.

Things eventually progressed, because well, he certainly knew what he was doing. The chemistry was unbelievable. He had "short term" fling written all over him though, since he wasn't the smartest guy -- had never been out of the country (not even Canada or Mexico), and didn't know geography very well "my mother is from Portugal" "Portugal? Is that in South America too?" (I visibly cringed.)

So despite having great conversations with pretty boy, he definitely lacked on the intellectual side of things. But for someone who wasn't ready for a relationship, a short fling was exactly what I needed.

There was a lot of things about him that was shady -- his nickname was Maverick (it was his "martial arts name"), so he liked to be called Mav. His age on yahoo was 26, but he told me he was 31. He couldn't show me his driver's license as he had lost it in too many speeding tickets (but he was still driving). He lived in Richmond and commuted everyday to Manassas. Lived with his grandmother who was sick, so he had to drive home every night to take care of her. I never heard from him on the weekends, but would see him almost every night during the week. I never went to his place (sick grandmother and all). He never met my friends, except for a short encounter when one of my guy friends had stopped by before Mav got here (and surprisingly my friend, after hearing all the stories, was still visibly impressed with Mav). I never met his friends either.

This thing lasted a couple of months, it was fun, but I was getting bored of the physical aspects of things -- at some point, despite of how great it is, you do need some intellectual stimulating conversation. Plus the fact that I still didn't even know his last name, started bugging me too. I always assumed he was hiding something as well. Sick grandmother my ass, he was probably married or something. However, at the time, Mav was just what I needed -- nothing like getting out of a dry spell with a bang.

His last time over my place he borrowed my Sopranos 1st season DVD set. I didn't hear from him after that, in the meantime I went off for a week in Cancun with my friends, came back, and about 2 or 3 weeks later he contacted me again. I just wasn't feeling it, was glad things were over, as I was tired of it. But I did want my DVD's back -- they weren't cheap, damn it!

He couldn't believe that I wanted to end things "are you seeing someone? I understand if you are" "No, I'm not seeing anyone, I'm just tired of the friends with benefits thing" it went back and forth through numerous text messages, and he really couldn't grasp the fact that I was ending things with him.

He promised to return my DVDs. I could drive to Manassas and pick it up, he could drop by here, he could mail it. After a few weeks of this crap, he just disappeared. Occasionally I would still send him a text saying "hey any chance I'll ever see those DVDs again?" -- the text went unanswered. I regretted ending things before getting my DVDs back.

For whatever reason, I never deleted his number. Deep down, I still hoped to retrieve those DVDs (I know this sounds ridiculous, but they were brand new when he borrowed them!).

A couple of weeks ago, over 1.5 years since I last heard from him, I bit the bullet and bought the set again at a sale on Amazon.

Much to my surprise, yesterday, while having lunch with awesome Jo, I got a text. It was from Mav. "I still haven't forgot about your DVD's" -- I was shocked. Not only I forgot that I kept his number around, but all this time he kept mine as well?

While waiting for my bus on my way back home, I finally replied back. We texted each other back and forth for a while. He's still in Richmond, now lives with his brother, grandmother is living with his mother. He no longer work in Manassas. He wants to see me.

And get this "I don't have to drive to Richmond every night now, I can sleep over if I want to"
"So I don't hear from you for almost two years and you get in touch with me for a booty call??" He apologized and said that's not what he meant. And that "Let's make a deal: I'll give back the DVD's to you next week and you buy me dinner"
"After you had them all this time with no rental fees, I think you're the one who owes me dinner"
"I could have kept them, I think it's a fair deal"

So I don't need to say I'm not buying him dinner. But now, in midst of another dry spell (and breaking the previous one with this guy here, wasn't really anything to write home about), I am actually thinking this is not bad timing. Because Mav? As shady and intellectually challenged that he was, really did have many talents, oh so many talents, and I could really put that defined chest and six-pack body to good use now...

More to come...

No comments: