8/20/09

And there is hope...

So after this post I have come to terms that there is only so much you can control. You can do everything right, and life might still throw you a curve ball.

I missed 6 days of work after the burn, since I was in incapable of walking more than a few feet for 8 days straight. When I returned to work, I was still limping and in pain meds.

A week after the burn, there had been no change. After the doctor suspected a nasty spot was the start of an infection and prescribed antibiotics, in just a few days the improvement was visible, and my skin finally started healing, little by little, making me feel more human again.

At the end of the second week, I was finally successful in finding a knee brace that would keep the bandages in place (since it was still an open wound that needed to be covered at all hours) so I could run.

It has been hard. REALLY hard. Somehow, 2 weeks barely walking, when most days my longest walk was from the bed to the couch, my endurance got shot, my body got weak. Even though I was consistently running prior to the burn, all of a sudden I could no longer keep up. The heat, which I had acclimatized to, started bothering me again, leaving me out of breath after a few strides.

With only a few weeks to the Half Marathon, I didn't have the luxury of building up my endurance again, and I had to jump right back into training. And I couldn't run it all.

My first attempted run was supposed to have been for 10 miles. I felt wonderful during the first two miles, then exhaustion hit me and I had to walk. But after a couple of minutes walking, I could run again. It took me longer, even my running pace got (as if it was possible!) slower, but I still finished the 10 miles, even if it wasn't all running.

This was the first time since the burn that I had hope. I accepted the fact that I couldn't run the Half Marathon, but I now know that there is no doubt that I can finish it.

And so I'm back at training. Some days, like yesterday, I can run for an hour straight and not have to stop. Other days, after every mile I need a short walking break.

Saturday is supposed to be my longest run ever. I'm supposed to go out there and run for 140 minutes. I know I won't be able to run the whole time. But I do know that I'll be able to complete the time.

Maybe, by the time the Army Ten Miler comes along a little over a month from now, I will have regained my endurance, got my body strong again, and I can run the 10 miles. But for the VA Beach Rock n Roll Half Marathon, I might not be able to run it all, but in a little over 2 weeks from now, I will cross that finish line and get the medal I so rightfully deserve.

5 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Thanks for reminding me that I should be grateful I CAN run, instead of bitching about it. :-)

You will kick ass in your next race, I know it!

Jessica said...

Your determination is inspiring! You're going to run a lot more than you thought you could, I bet. And the 10-miler is going to be a breeze!

Beach Bum said...

LiLu, Dagny, you guys are sweey! Hope you're both right :)

GUAMtastic said...

You are going to ROCK the 140 minutes!!! Keep it up, go at the pace your body lets you and enjoy being able to run again!! YEAH!!

Beach Bum said...

Tessa, I hope you're right! Definitely a relief to be able to run again, that's for sure!