8/29/07

It only takes one day

Last year while visiting my friend K in San Diego and discussing about my singleton status (at the time she was dating someone), she told me something that now I live by (or at least try to remember to live by):  "It only takes one day"  It really is so simple, but a lot of times, when we're feeling sorry for ourselves, we forget.

She hit it right on the spot.  It really only takes one day.  One day you're single, going about your life, then you meet the right person, and next day your life has changed, you're no longer single, you're dating and that could of course develop to engaged, married, father of your children, and the likes.

Of course, you don't jump from being totally single to setting the date in one day -- but it really is in one day when you go from being single to have met someone. 

Just because there are no prospects today, doesn't mean that tomorrow, while you're out at Target buying toilet paper, you won't meet the person who will be your "one" (well, hopefully you're buying something more interesting than TP, but you get the gist).

So on days like today, when I'm lonely, feeling sorry for myself, I remember:  "It only takes one day" because really, on any day, our lives can totally change.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Note to self: Start spreading out your errands so that you do one at least every day. That way, you can be sure to be out and about every day of the week, in case that's the day you're supposed to meet someone! :o)

Beach Bum said...

Good point -- maybe if I didn't procrastinate so much on my errands I wouldn't be single!

One thing I always wonder is that driving to work, instead of taking the bus & metro is seriously limiting my options. But at the same time, I took the bus & subway for years in NYC and not once met anyone... But at least the possibility was there...