8/30/07

Run it

I signed up for a 5k race that is a week away.  Of course, doing so I jinxed myself completely, and haven't had much time (and energy) to get to the gym and run.  Between having family in town, feeling sorry for myself last week, then getting sick over the weekend (and was feeling like crap until Tuesday), then having to work overtime to compensate for my sick time on Monday (and my day off tomorrow), I ended up not doing much at all. 

I'm one of those people that as much as I bitch about going to the gym, I actually enjoy exercising, and if I don’t do it, it's not that I just feel guilty about being a bum, but is just that I actually, truly, miss it. 

Of course, I got a couple of volleyball days in (and had a 14 mile bike ride on Saturday and played volleyball for 3 hours -- and yes, got totally dehydrated with the 100+ degree weather), but the courts have been so crowded during the week that the games are not really making me run around -- I miss playing doubles.  And even with the crowded courts,I haven't been playing volleyball nearly as much as I'd like anyway.  Plus my exercise schedule has been so inconsistent, that it's really frustrating, once or twice a week is so not enough!

So today, I have TONS of stuff to do and am kind of freaking out if I'll get a chance to get it all done.  I have my gym clothes here with me (as my plan is to hit the gym after work), and in the spur of the moment, decided to go for a run on my lunch time.  Changed in my office, then ran around the
Embassy Row area.  It was tiring (the 4 hours of sleep I got last night didn't help), but I was still able to run (had to walk a bit too, I admit it, I couldn't do all running) for almost 3 miles (almost that 5k...).  Then ran to Cosi, grabbed a salad, came back to work and changed back into my work clothes.

(If you're saying "eeeeew" right now, believe me, I tend to sweat quite a bit, so it really is totally disgusting.)

But you know what?  It was totally worth it!  Woke me up (and of course, I'm using the extra energy to type this up instead of, you know, working) and de-stressed me a bit.  Ok, it de-stressed me a LOT.  I needed this.  To get my heart rate up there, some blood pumping in my veins.  Now all the things I need to accomplish today don't seem so overwhelming.

This might be my new thing, specially now that the weather won't be getting as hot!  Running during my lunch time -- then if life gets in the way, I'm still getting at least some exercise in and keeping my sanity.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to
Shenandoah to go camping with some of my favorite people (like her).  Hope everyone has a great weekend, and I'll be back next week!

1 comment:

Graham Ettridge said...

My goodness, you are feeling energetic...LOL! I aim to go swimming after work each evening... trouble is recently it has been staying as an aim and not actually happening. Your post has made me feel guilty, so perhaps tomorrow I will actually get there!

Anywayz, you have a great blog. I'm a keen traveller too (although had an accident at the end of last year - so haven't done so much recently) - that's another thing to kick start again now lol!

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Best wishes ~ Graham