After painting my bedroom the faux-suede finish I had been planning for so long, I was finally ready to buy some new bedroom furniture. Because the Ikea stuff? It fit the bill, it was functional, but I'm "grown up" enough to now crave furniture that is not only functional (a.k.a. "just a bed to sleep in"), but one that is pretty as well. The rest of my living space is nicely decorated (within my budget), and I love it. Sure, sure, like everyone and their dog I also have a red dining room. But how many people can say they have a beach-house themed bathroom? With actual stripes painted on the wall? With sand straight from the beaches of Rio? With real shells and starfish as accents? Oh, corny, you say? Well, if there's a place you are allowed to be corny at, the bathroom is it (nothing like peeing and feeling like you're a few steps from the beach).
My bedroom, on the other hand, was lacking some serious character. It was the first place I painted right after moving in (I was desperate to get rid of that baby yellow color adorning my walls). The dark sage green color was pretty, and for the first year it was fine. Then it got old -- not much I could do with that color. Sure, I have a wall full of different sized pictures behind my bed, but that was the only thing in my bedroom that I had actually put some thought into.
So when the faux-suede painting was finally over (despite a couple of setbacks), I was ready to look for furniture. Visited tons of stores and finally found something I liked. Something I really liked. And with a great no-interest-for-18-months payment plan, I could actually afford it without putting myself into further debt.
This was the weekend before NYE. I gave myself a full month to empty out my current dressers/nightstand (and the dressers were many -- somehow I had 5 dressers packed with clothes), and sell my furniture on craigslist.
Of course, being the efficient person that I am *coughcoughcough* I waited until this weekend to finish it, considering the delivery of my furniture this Friday. And my apartment is not big enough to store two sets of bedroom furniture. Plus, having 5 full dressers (and a full walk-in closet), you can imagine how much crap I have in the rest of my apartment. So on Saturday night, at 2am, I finally posted my ad on craigslist.
Much to my surprise I woke up on Sunday morning (ok, the morning part is questionable) and found 2 people interested in the whole shebang. I emailed both back, one of the guys called me up within minutes, and so we arranged for pick up later on that day (had to play volleyball in the afternoon, got my priorities and all…).
The guy sounded gay in the phone, but I still asked one of my friends, A, to hang around just in case… After all, the thought of two guys who I never met coming over at night into my bedroom made me a bit uneasy. I'm far from being paranoid about these things, but know there are too many weirdos on craigslist.
Turns out that the guy who sounded gay, wasn't actually gay, he had had his wisdom teeth removed that weekend so he was still talking funny. (No offense to the people reading this who play for the other team, but he really did sound gay.) One look at both the guys put me at ease. Not only they were normal, but both were actually pretty cute. And nice. And funny. Did I say cute?
"You want to test out the bed before buying?" (Kidding, kidding, I would never say that!)
I helped them take the furniture downstairs (someone had to hold the elevator door open, right?). It took them 2 trips to haul the whole thing out, and since we had been talking the whole time I was "helping" them, they asked what our plans were for the rest of the night as none of us had to work on MLK Monday.
So I went off to dinner with A, and the guys met us up there later for margaritas. Since it was Sunday and the place was closing down at 10pm, we started wondering about other places to go to. Somehow we ended up at A's place and after a quick stop at the market downstairs, we got on to making our own margaritas, while playing stupid drinking games, and just overall having a great time. My weekend, which had been uneventful until that point, unexpectedly turned around, and somehow, selling my furniture on craigslist led me to making two new friends. Two new cute friends for that matter. Non-gay cute friends.
I'm seeing the cuter of the friends (or so I think, A actually thought the other one was cuter) again tomorrow. The other one, the one who had his wisdom teeth removed, the one that A thought was more attractive, seems to be interested in her as well.
Now who knew selling furniture on craigslist was better than match.com?
1/23/08
Ah, the joys of craigslist…
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
11:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. You really CAN get everything on Craigslist. Way to multitask! :o)
Love they way you think! Yep, multi-tasking, that's what I was doing!!
We were invited to hang out at wisdom teeth's guy place this Friday too -- him and his roommates are having a little get together as they're all moving in now. How fun!
Post a Comment