Despite my excitement about my new running club, this week I'm going to miss it again, for the 4th week in a row. It's not that I haven't wanted to go, but it really doesn't seem to work out. Life gets in the way. I know, excuses, excuses... It's awful!
First, a friend of mine was going with me, and somehow I managed to completely oversleep, the alarm, if it rang at all, was not enough to wake me up. I was excited about going, it was on my favorite route so far (Rosslyn, Iwo Jima Memorial, down to Rt 110, over to Memorial Bridge and taking the Mt. Vernon Trail from there, then back), but when I woke up it was 10:30am and too late, I had missed it, and in turned pissed off my friend who had gotten up that morning and was waiting for me.
Then the following weekend I really had all intentions of going, but other things hindered my attempt, and this time it was beyond my control. What could that be, you say, that would justify skipping on running completely guilt-free? Well, Friday night I got home fairly early, before midnight, after celebrating one of my friend's birthday. Only to find both of my kitchen sinks were filled with disgusting, dirty, stinking black water, which was running down to the floors. So after freaking out, I was finally able to get the emergency plumbers to come out and clear the block that apparently was a good 14ft below me (getting your neighbors' sewage water into your apartment is no fun). The plumbers left at almost 2am, then it was another hour of some "quick" cleaning before heading to bed, and of course, it was then deep scrubbing as soon as I got up that morning. Running was really not my priority.
Last week I had the "I'm getting sick" feeling, you know, the stuffy/runny nose, scratchy throat, lethargic body. It didn't help that the temperature had dropped to the 20's, and that on Wednesday I had forgotten that my car was parked a good mile away from the stop I got out of, and had to make the walk in 3" heels and under the rain, with no umbrella. So when Saturday came along with freezing temperatures early morning, running outside was a guarantee that I'd get very sick. So I stayed in, and by Sunday I was much better.
Now this weekend, I'm off to NYC with a friend.
So as you can see, I've been slacking off on the running club. Which scares the hell out of me, as when I finally go back on the 18th, I'm supposed to run for 80 minutes. 80 freaking minutes!!!
I made small attempts of running here and there, running 3 miles the Friday before NYE, then while waiting for my car to get inspected, running another 5 miles the following Monday (my record so far!). Today I got up at the crack of dawn to run 3 miles before work, even though my volleyball game last night didn't end until past 11pm.
But of course, running once a week won't get me into shape, won't make me run further, faster, longer or even make me a runner.
I don't make resolutions (why wait for the calendar to start something up?), but boy, does breaking my routine makes the rest of my life suffer! No running, no working out, my place is a pigsty (damn you, gnomes!), and I always feel like the day is not long enough to get everything done.
So, despite the lack of resolutions for the NYE, my resolution is that once I get my routine back to normal, I better go back to the gym, go back to running, and also keep my apartment clean at all times that the thought of people "popping in" unannounced, will not make me cringe.
1/8/08
Blah
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
12:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment