I didn't realize how much I missed it or how much it is part of who I am until I saw that skyline; the skyline I had I left almost 4 years ago.
I had spent the whole week dreading the drive, the lost of time when I had too much to do in DC, the trip in general. But as I was approaching NYC and caught a glimpse of the Empire State Building, my heart skipped a beat. This was home and I had forgotten about it.
Moving around while I was growing up, I adapt easily to places, fall in love with every place I live in, but sometimes, I forget how the places I have left also own a piece of my heart. They are part of me. Forever.
So it wasn't until I saw that familiar skyline that somehow I had not seen in almost 2 years, blame it on being too busy, having too much to do, being too lazy, on too many excuses... that I realized how much it is still me. I didn't miss it, I was fine in DC. I would get around to New York at some point, but no hurry. At least I thought I didn't miss it, but when I went back and was finally there, I couldn't see myself anywhere else.
And I love DC, I love my life here. I definitely not only I have a huge circle of friends, I also hang around in different circles. Here I get to bike ride on trails, without worrying about a car crashing into me. I get to play volleyball until I'm sick of it (still waiting for the sick of it part to happen). I get to swim anytime I want (and oh, boy, have I not been taking advantage of that lately). I even bought a place here, which means I'm here to stay.
But being in NYC, the air, the smell of that city, the people, the place, the energy... It brought something back I had forgotten existed. I was happy with my life there as well. That city is one of the loves of my life.
I walked around until my feet hurt, and did the same thing the next day. And the next. I still knew the city like the back of my hand. I could still take the subway without checking the map. I shopped. I ate at a couple of my favorite places. I saw some old friends. I visited the old bar we used to go to for post-work happy hours. I forgot how many gorgeous men are strolling down the streets (way to put DC to shame!).
I went there with a friend of mine who didn't appreciate much of the city. When I would point something out to her she would barely look up, wouldn't even acknowledge it, and that was like she was rejecting a part of me, which in many ways, she was. I was there for almost 7 years of my life, and the whole time I still appreciated every single thing about it. There's no way to love the city and not love the many dimensions of it. She was there for only the third time in her life. An "uh-huh" when I showed her the sights, places, told her stories, wouldn't cut it. By the end I was stressed out and wished I had visited the city on my own. Because showing the city to someone who claims to love it, but in the end doesn't really appreciate it? That's heartbreaking.
And I promised myself to go back in a couple of months. "Don't take almost 2 years again to go back." Because Manhattan? It's a part of my life, a part of me.
So for the first time since I left I could see myself back there. Living in the NYC area again. And it might not be in the next couple of years, maybe not even in the next 10 years. But one day, New York, I'll be back to stay. Just wait for me.
1/17/08
One of the loves of my life
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
6:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment