So if you have been reading my posts for a while -- I know, I'm laughing at this too, I have like two readers, and even my blogger friends don't read this anymore! But, anyway, it is no secret that I bike to work, and absolutely love it. So much so that I keep writing posts about it. In April, was the first time that I finally commuted by bike and then of course, fell in love with my route.
Then of course, my bike broke, so I bought a new one which I hated, so I exchanged it for the one I have now. I since then changed the pedals (which led to many, many falls), replaced the seat with one I liked, added a rack, and changed the handlebar tape to a much cuter white one (because you know, it gotta look pretty).
And then of course the blogs about biking continued... I complained about the traffic laws and explained about bikers' behavior on the road. I bitched about new bikers on the trail, I bought a new bumper sticker for my car, and there were of course arguments with idiots who thought I shouldn't be on the road, and random postings about a bit of everything.
About a month ago, I biked home in the dark for the first time, and I wasn't sure if I could keep this up through the winter... I found and tried a new route where I cross through Ft. Myer -- not as pretty at Mt. Vernon Trail, but certainly safer at night. And of course, all the cute military boys doing PT in the morning doesn't hurt.
Last week, I finally got proper lights for a whopping $150. I was serious about biking through the winter.
This morning, after 2 weeks away from my bike, I finally commuted to work again.
It was 32 degrees. I had a strong headwind the whole way in.
I was wearing gloves, proper winter tights, long sleeve shirt, my extra bright yellow windbreaker, ear covers, and I was freeeeezing the whole way in. As in shivering. As in it took 10 extra minutes to get to work, because my thighs were frozen and the cold actually made it hurt, so it was hard to pedal.
And for the first time in a long time I wondered if I can actually keep this up and bike to work during the winter. It was not fun. It was not relaxing. All I could think of is how cold I was.
When I went to the shower, my whole body was bright pink. I was shivering for the first hour at my desk, even with a portable heater on.
And then I ditched my bike at work and took the bus home. I can't bike tomorrow as I have HH plans at 7pm, so hoping on biking back home on Thursday. And I am dreading it already.
Those lights were way to expensive for me to give up so easily, yet I don't see any other way I can keep this up.
11/11/08
It's freaking freezing!
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
6:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Nice find on the light and kudos for riding in the other morning. You'll be ok, it is always the first couple of times in the winter that are the worst. It gets better from there!
I'm not sure if it gets better... So far, bike is still here at work...
Maybe not in the rain or snow, but you'll figure out how many layers you need to have in order to stay warm. You always need more when you walk out the door and will shed layers as you ride.
It's also good that you found a new route that is safer.
I hate hate hate being cold. Just reading about you biking in the winter made me chilly.
Tyler: I hate stopping and removing layers... Ugh. Plus I need layers on my legs (butt and thighs were FREEZING) a very weird place to add layers to!
Lisa: I HATE HATE HATE HATE the cold too. But it's why biking was a good idea -- I usually warm up really quickly when exercising outside, but waiting for the bus which is constantly late, in the freezing windy cold, traumatized me last winter!
Post a Comment