9/9/09

I did it!


I did it! At my slow 12 min/mile pace, but my goal was to finish, my second goal was to be able to do so at a 12 min/mile pace. And I got them both done.

A month ago, I didn't think I was going to be able to run it at all. Heck, a month ago I still couldn't walk, and I was limping in pain.

The boy ran with me the whole time ("we're a team" he says) and we crossed the finish line together.


Of course, to my despair, I finished right behind the old woman wearing that stupid spiky red cap. Had I noticed that at the end (I was more worried in not passing out), I would have certainly sprinted a tad more to beat her.

Next year? My goal will be to finish in front of anyone wearing something stupid.

There were 11 of us down at VA Beach. The boy and I went camping, since none of us wanted to spend a lot in hotels (the hotel room cost literally 10 times more than a campsite). Some of the group camped, others shared a hotel room.

It was a blast! The fastest of the group finished in 1:30 (a 6:56 pace!), the slowest finished in 2:50 -- but we all finished it! It wasn't easy, and the last two miles were the longest miles I have ever ran (and by then, the sun was beating down on us).

The boy and I stuck around for a couple more days to enjoy the beach, only to be greeted with non-stop rain on Monday and Tuesday. At points so strong, that there was flooding in the area. But we caught up on sleep inside the tent, which is now drying out in my living room (a couch and a loveseat gone, woohoo! We're slowly getting some space back).

The weekend? Was awesome!

The best part? I achieved my pre-30th goal of running a half marathon! Just signed up for next year's race -- I'm totally putting myself up for that torture again :)

Any other takers?

4 comments:

rachaelgking said...

Congrats, lady!!! I knew you would :-)

Beach Bum said...

Thanks, LiLu!

Jessica said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic. And congratulations on getting stuff out of your place, too!

Beach Bum said...

Thanks, Dagny! Yes, getting rid of stuff is a major plus too! My friend wanted my couches, so I let her have my keys. Coming home with the couches gone was a huge relief!