9/25/09

A Marathon

Just like I have pet peeves with biking and with driving, it's not surprisingly that I have also developed a pet peeve since picking up running...

And I'm sure many people have a much bigger list than I do. I know I run with people who run funny (arms going all over the place, legs flopping about) but are still way faster than me, but surprisingly that doesn't bother me much. But one pet peeve of mine, I have heard a few times in the last couple of weeks is.

"This will be my first marathon!" (from a girl in my group who signed up for the 5k race)

and

"My friend convinced me to run a marathon" "Oh really, which one?" "Oh, some 5k in Rockville"

Ok, pay attention...

MARATHON = 26.2 miles.

A 5k is NOT a marathon, it's a race. Actually, a marathon is also a race. But a 5k = 3.1 miles.

A marathon? It will ALWAYS be 26.2 miles. The same way that a half-marathon will ALWAYS be 13.1 miles.

The other races? A 5k, 10k, 10 miler, etc, are just that, races with whatever distances that are posted. An ultra-marathon? It's any race with a distance over 26.2 miles, so that's also not a set distance.

Ok, now that I got that out of my chest, I can go on with my Friday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like these folks are probably very very very new to the sport, and even basic running vocalbulary is foreign to them. If they end up embracing the sport as enthusiastically as you have, you all will be having a big laugh about this when you're crossing the finish line together at your actual marathon someday. Try not to let it get to you.