10/7/09

On a diet

I'm officially on a diet...

Last time I attempted to diet was back in January 07. I joined Nutrisystem after some horrible pictures of me from NYE. I followed faithfully for 3 months, and dropped 13lbs. My trip to Brazil interrupted the diet (I will never diet on vacation, that is just wrong!), and I had no motivation to get back into it once BBQ season started. And, though the NS food was truthfully yummy at first, I got tired of it pretty quickly. By the end, I was fatigued and borderline anemic.

I was good through spring and summer, but winter came, and I became a bit of a hermit, after not running as much as I wanted that winter. I slowly put most of the weight I lost back on. I was actively going to the gym, I started biking to work once the weather warmed up again, but nothing really helped me lose weight.

It seems I always put on pounds during the winter time, get some off during the warmer months.

Then, a year ago I created my running group and started running consistently. Short runs during the week, long runs on Saturdays. Of course, once spring came around, my weight went down again, as it always does. Increasing my runs to train for the Half Marathon and the Ten Miler made no additional difference whatsoever. Sure, my calves are more muscular, but nothing else.

One of my friends joined Weight Watchers a few months ago, and is now 25 lbs lighter. She started with a body very similar to mine. She inspired me.

I have done WW in the past, with no luck. After 3 months I had gained 0.3lbs -- I was eating healthier, but was also eating a lot more food than when I'm not dieting. At that time though, it was winter, and I wasn't running or biking, and my gym visits were rare.

Figured it is now worth another shot. As of this past Monday, I'm officially on Weight Watchers. Doing the online thing (no time or money for meetings), but am hopeful that this time, with all the running and such, it will work.

Of course, I'm nursing an injured foot right now, so cannot run for the next couple of weeks, but if I can keep my weight stable while I'm a bit of bum, it'll be a success.

The Boy? Has no weight to lose but will be doing it with me for moral support. He truly is wonderful.

I'll update on here as I go along. Hopefully, posting my plans here will keep me accountable.

If you have tried Weight Watchers before, please share your experience and any tips you may have!

And here's to hoping that when I run the Army Ten Miler next year, I'm not horrified of the way my sleeveless arms look like in the post-race picture.

1 comment:

verybadcat said...

I don't have any WW experience, but I'm rooting for you! :)