With the diet, I'm trying quite a few new foods, to give me feeling that I'm not depriving myself of anything. It's kind of interesting, since now I can eat ice cream everyday!
Ice cream, you say?
I have tried the Weight Watchers Giant Ice Cream Bars and love them. It doesn't taste like diet food, and it really feels like you're indulging. The giant fudge bar is a bit chewy, which makes it feel like you're really eating something. I'm not a fan of chocolate ice cream (usually if that's the only option, I chose not to eat any), but this one was really good. The Latte Bar tastes just like coffee ice cream, and the Cookies & Cream bar, though higher in calories, also tastes like the real thing (WW adds fiber to everything to lower the caloric content).
(WW points = 1 or 2)
I'm in LOVE with Gnu Bars. They are not cheap, but this website has the best prices for it, so I stocked up. They don't taste the same as granola bars, so don't have that expectation when taking the first bite, but they have 12 grams of fiber per bar, so it's totally worth it! The Banana Walnut and the Cinnamon Raisin flavors taste just like a cookie. I also like the Espresso Chip, it has a dark chocolate & coffee taste. I eat them after my yogurt for breakfast.
(WW points = 2)
I love yogurts in general, always have, and they have always been my breakfast staple since I was a kid (a habit I got from my mother). I've already been eating the Target fat free yogurts, which are fantastic, very thick, with only 100 calories, but the dessert flavored ones taste totally sinful. Definitely give the strawberry cheesecake and the honey almond a try (make sure it's the fat free version, the low fat contains sugar, so the it's almost twice the calories).
(WW points = 2)
I love Greek yogurt as well, and finally tried the fat-free Chobani (I like the plain, mixed with splenda), and I can't tell the difference between that one and the full-fat version.
(WW points = 2)
I have read a lot about the Vita Muffins and Vita Brownies, and found it at the Giant supermarket by me (in the frozen food aisle). They're very expensive (I believe $6 for a box of 4 tiny things), but they're only 100 calories, and have a bit of fiber. Not like the real thing, but as a treat once in a while, not too bad. They would be a lot better if the price wasn't so steep (looks like they're slightly cheaper online, pre-shipping costs).
(WW points = 1)
The Boy is a big fan of protein drinks and bars, but they usually have tons of calories. The ZOIC drink is the best I've seen so far in terms of ratio of protein to calories. It comes in vanilla and chocolate flavors, both have 110 calories and 21 (!!!) grams of protein. They only have 1 gram of fat, and 5 grams of carbs, as they don't have any sugar added. They taste ok for me, but are a bit in the watery side. I can drink them straight out of the can, but have been thinking about throwing the vanilla with some frozen strawberries in the blender for a milkshake taste. I know I definitely don't eat enough protein (I'm far from a vegetarian, but even pre-diet I easily go days without any type of meat), so for me this is a good way to complement to my diet.
(WW points = 2)
Yesterday I tried a pasta I had heard about tons of times, but couldn't justify the expense: the Fiber Gourmet pasta. Amazon had it for the cheapest price. If you think of the cost in term of a meal, and not compare it to normal price of pasta, the expense is not too bad. Anyway, this pasta has 18 grams of fiber per serving. 18!!! And though I was expecting something around the same texture of wheat pasta, I could not tell the difference taste or texture-wise between this pasta and regular pasta.
I've only tried the mac & cheese version so far, and though I love the pasta, the sauce leaves a lot to be desired. You're better off trying the normal pasta and using your own sauce (I am waiting for the regular pasta to arrive in the mail). The box claims to have 3 servings, and they're not kidding -- they're not small servings like most products, I made 3 bowls of pasta with each box.
(WW points/serving = 2.5)
I'll post here if I find anything else that I love. Would love to hear tips from others as well!
10/22/09
Food Review
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
10:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Trader Joe's has these 6-packs of muffins in apple cranberry and pomegranate cranberry (the apple is better). While a bit odd in texture (they're better slightly heated), they are 80-90 calories and have 13 grams of fiber. Also, TJ's has a fruit leather that's pretty high in fiber, too.
Oooh, those muffins sound better than the frozen ones. I'll definitely grab some next time I'm there. Awesome tip!!
Post a Comment