5/30/07

How to lose a guy

So I briefly mentioned about my date with a geeky guy a couple of weeks ago.  I knew from the get-go that this was going to be a long night, but I just didn't know how to get rid of him.
 
Usually, when I don't like a guy, I get so comfortable and relaxed that I joke around the whole night.  I figured might as well make the best of it.  So they end up thinking I'm freaking HILARIOUS.  Then they're smitten.  And of course, when the "I think we should just be friends" line is said (by me) I have to hear a variation of one of these things:
 
"Oh, when I said another date, I didn't mean date in the sense of the word.  I meant date, like friends, yeah I didn't like you that way, we really should be friends" (sure, dude)
 
"I have enough friends" (have a good life)
 
"Sure let's be friends" (only to have them make a move on me minutes later)
 
So going into my date, I was dreading to have to pull the "friends" crap again, but I knew my night would end up that way.  And you have to say it nice enough so you don't seem like a bitch (I don't like being the bitch), and since I don't like the blowing off attitude either, I rather make it clear that if I have no intention on dating you ever again, so I never leave it unsaid.
 
So about 5 minutes from my date I knew it was going to be a loooong night.  So when he asked me how was volleyball, and after my reply made the comment of "I wouldn't know how that feels as I don't play sports" (Not any?  Never?  Oh really...)  A little light bulb went on in my head -- just like in your average cartoon and comic book.  After finding out he had no hobbies, even the friends line wouldn't work (no interest in being friends with someone with no hobbies aside from your basic eat, sleep, drink, shit, life).
 
So for an hour all I talked was about sports.  Like, the whole time.  All the sports I've played all my life.  Volleyball!  Tennis!!  Team handball!!!  Basketball (yeah, I sucked at it, but it was fair game to include it in the conversation)  I love biking on the trails!  I swim laps every week!!  I started to run!!!

Within half an hour he was yawning.  Huge yawns.  "I'm sorry, I must be sleepy, it's pretty late" (it was 9pm).  That was all the motivation I needed to continue with my evil plan -- more talk about playing sports!  By 9:30 (an hour into our date), he excused himself, saying he should get some sleep, he didn't know why he was so tired (I did, dude, I just purposely bored the hell out of you!!).  We parted ways, he didn't say "I'll call you" "let's do this again" or anything of this matter.  I kind of ran too fast towards my car.
 
It's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't heard a word from him.

Victory is mine!!!
 
So, my advice for getting rid of a guy who is not for you?  Find what he doesn't like, then excitedly talk about it.  All the time.  Nothing else.  I was almost jumping up and down on my bar stool so excited I was!  Bore him to death.  Thankfully it was something I am actually excited about (have I mentioned I really like playing sports?), but even if it's something you're not much of a fan, act like you are, and get inspired to talk, talk, talk, talk about it.  You know when your geeky friend is going on an on about his computer issues?  And your eyes sort of glaze over, but you fake interest?  Do that to your date.  Eventually his eyes will glaze over, yawning will ensue and he'll just be "too tired" to continue on.

8 comments:

vvk said...

Haha... your nefarious plan will not work on geeks like me. I can talk about just about everything... Muhahahaaa... :-P

Anonymous said...

Good work! No harm, no foul, everyone walks away unscathed.

Though, I'm reminded of a Haiku from that little book on the coffee table:

You have talked and talked
For hours on end. Yet somehow
My watch says 8:10.

:o)

inowpronounceyou said...

Brilliant strategy! Congrats on the no call back, too.

Beach Bum said...

VVK: Just because you can talk about anything doesn't mean the conversation will be interesting for you -- I bet I can still bore just about anyone if need be!

DT: Yes, the Haiku is a perfect example of my night. I thought we were there for 3 hours, then it was like "what, only one hour?"

INPY: Trust me to have a good strategy to get rid of a guy. I'm quite proud of myself, I gotta say!

Unknown said...

:-) I pick them up, you drive them away. Goddamn, we're a good team. The karaoke-ers should watch out for us on Friday :-)

Beach Bum said...

Damn, we ARE a good team! Except I wish I was better at picking them up than driving them away!

Anonymous said...

Lol! I came across your post researching a nice way to say 'goodnight' to a long night and thought WOW! I know EXACTLY what she means! Especially when it comes to the whole I-don't-care-so-I-get-relaxed-thing and then they think you're so funny or whatnot and then you're *really* doomed. It just stinks then, that by the same token it's difficult to get relaxed and "connect" with someone I am interested in. Boooo. As it is though - nice to meet a kindred spirit in that realm. :)

Anonymous said...

I think that's total bullshit, really. Its because of people like you that men and women have their signals crossed so often and why people misunderstand, get stalked, raped and murdered. But, victory is yours.