5/23/07

I'm out for a run

I played sports all my life, but never was much of a runner.  Put a ball that I'm supposed to go after, and you'll see me running around for hours.  Running for the heck of it?  Eh, not so much.
 
So last year I decided to learn how to run.  I'm sure no one that knows me will be surprised to know that this was for me to get better at volleyball...  I play on sand courts that are ridiculously large for a game of doubles, so when you're out playing and you get a bad pass, you just want to be able to get to the ball on time -- and I'm just not fast enough:  almost there, but a millisecond too late.
 
It was weird getting the desire to run -- all my life I've been perfectly fine with the notion that I'm not a runner, I never will be, definitely not something I aspire to, and I'm ok with that.  I'm good at other sports to compensate for it.  Had no desire, no reason to go running around town.  When I passed by them in my bike, going 10 times faster than they were, all I could think of was "suckers, at my speed I get to see a lot more places in an hour than you do"  But all of a sudden I got this urge to run.  I had extra energy and felt like I wanted to go running, that I needed it!
 
I never ran for the hell of it before in my life (always hated it), so on my first few attempts at hitting the treadmill, while I was stuck to doing the "walk two minutes, run one minute" thing, I thought everyone at the gym would stop what they're doing to point and laugh at me.  Ok, ok, so I really didn't think that was going to happen, but doesn't mean it made me any more comfortable, specially on my first day on the treadmill when this 50 year-old woman next to me was running like a maniac, and she was there when I got there, and still there when I left 30 minutes later, still keeping up her "I'm running for my life" pace. 
 
Within a couple of weeks into it, when I was starting to improve (walking one minute, running two minutes), I got injured playing volleyball (jumped to spike a ball, landed right foot first, cracking ensued, was out of the courts for almost two months doing physical therapy waiting for my ankle to heal).
 
So I was back to square one.  It's always weird to me that I have no stamina for running, when I can swim a mile without taking a break, I can bike-ride a good twenty miles, I can walk for hours, play whatever other sport with no problem.  But attempting the running thing my body just tells me "Haha, nice try, not happening."
 
Slowly I started improving on the treadmill.  Last week, getting inspired by a friend of mine, I went jogging on the GW Parkway.  Did the whole walk/run thing, until I finally found a pace I could keep for a while.  Yesterday was my second attempt at running outdoors.  4 minutes walking, then jogging.  I wanted to stop, to start walking again, but since I wasn't out of breath yet, I could keep going, I continued...  Ran for 3 miles, finished the whole thing in 34 minutes, which is really not bad for a total beginner, I'm just excited I ran for half an hour straight without stopping!  Plus I got to admire the cute guys running or on their bikes (nice view is always a great motivator!).
 
Today is my hit the gym day, but I'm looking forward to going to the GW Parkway again tomorrow.  Pre-volleyball of course, I must still have my priorities :)
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you!!!! I used to run competitively, and never got into running just to run. But it sounds like you're really enjoying it. And the GW Pkwy is by far the prettiest trail in this area.

Anonymous said...

Is it a lack of stamina or are you just getting bored running? If you get bored you may feel like you are getting tired when actually you have the stamina to keep going.

Beach Bum said...

I assume both? Lack of stamina and boredom...