9/20/07

I'm a retard

Well, I am. Because right after writing up this post, I went out running. I didn't really feel like it, I was tired, I felt like taking a nap. But off I went anyway. After my standard 4 minute warm up walk, I started running. 5 minutes later, I was at a residential area near Georgetown, where they have sidewalks made of brick. Really pretty next to the townhouses. I was a bit distracted, trying not to think about how much I really want to be sleeping. "Light Years" by Pearl Jam was playing on my ipod.

And then I tripped. Ipod came flying out of my hand, landing 5 ft in front of me. All I kept seeing was the red of the brick sidewalk getting closer and closer to my face. I guess all the times diving after a volleyball I became good at letting my legs take the hit, because though I used my arm to protect my face and landed on top of my right arm and hit my elbow, my arm didn't have a scratch.

Got up, collected my ipod, and blood was dripping down my right leg. A little scratch and a deeper small cut (probably from hitting the side of the brick?) caused the blood to gush down. I walked to a playground nearby and asked one of the moms for tissue. She gave me a wipe that cleaned up the blood but didn't stop it from dripping. "Are you ok?" "Ah, yeah, I'm fine, it's just a scratch" -- and I meant it, and kept on running. A minute later the muscles on my right thigh were killing me, my left ankle was throbbing.

So I put my head down in shame and limped the 15 or so minutes back to my job. I was visibly hurt (remember, blood was still gushing down my right leg). Probably passed at least 20 people on the street, not one stopped to ask if I was ok -- I mean seriously, you see a girl with half her leg covered in dripping blood, and limping, you know it just happened! But no, got sympathy from no one.

Cleaned up the blood, stuck a bandaid on the little scratch (so much blood for something that small?), iced the ankle (just a strain, nothing serious).

Today it's still bothering me a bit, got a couple of bruises, but nothing to write home about -- but running would so not be the right thing to do (specially with a volleyball game later on tonight!). Hopefully tomorrow I can hit the pavement again.

And the whole time, you know what I was thinking? Damn INPY jinxed me! He wrote this post proclaiming his hatred for Pearl Jam, and the next time I listen to them, I plummet on a brick sidewalk.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

As I just wrote, I had a gorgeous face-plant of my own this morning - fortunately, mine was (1) in my apartment, and (2) involved no blood.

Also, I don't think I could run to Pearl Jam. I need Shiny! Happy! Music to keep me in a good mood throughout. :o)

Beach Bum said...

Well thanks for putting Shiny Happy People in my head all day :)

I have to run to rock -- I guess I let some anger and steam out while running...