I interrupt your scheduled programing (I'll finish my WTC account tomorrow) to share my missed connections fiasco.
I went running at lunch time today, and all sweaty made my way to Cosi in Dupont during lunch. There was an incredibly cute guy a couple of people behind me in line. Totally my type. Totally. I looked over at him, he at me, but of course, I have no game, suck at flirting and the what-not.
Cosi was stupidly busy and service was slow as ass, so by the time I got my food and paid up, I had 5 minutes left to get to my office, so had to (literally) run out of there. Never talked to the guy, and regretted not making a move (as always).
So on a desperate "what do I have to lose?" attempt I posted a "missed connections" ad on Craigslist. Yep, I've become one of them.
Low and behold, I had a couple of replies, this is the one where the guy actually emailed back. Please refer to our email exchange and let me know what you think...
Him: either a weird coincidence or think you might be referring to me in your posting -- i would like to talk if you are who i think you are -- lets find out somehow..........
Beach Bum: I'm laughing as I just got another email from someone else saying the same thing... So, do you remember me, if yes, was there anything on my t-shirt? How about your t-shirt? What's your hair like? Color of your shorts? Was it the Cosi on the north of the circle, or the Cosi south of the Circle?
Never posted a missed connections before, so needless to say I'm skeptical, specially getting three replies already of "it was probably me"
Him: well, my hair is brownish color, shorts were khaki type shorts, north/south i dont know i am not good with directions at all -- i really think it was me and remember you coming in
BB: Lenght of you hair then?
Don't know if it was you, as the guy I saw was behind me in line, not in front of me... So I assume he came in after me... But yeah, color of the shorts are in fact right, they were khaki.
Him: well my hair is kinda short but not that short
BB: Definitely not you then, the guy had more of a buzz cut. Oh well, it was worth an effort!
Him: well depends on what you consider a buzz cut -- ill just cut to the chase -- here is a pic of me
(Cute guy, looked a lot like the guy I saw, but small pic, not 100% sure. I've seen this picture before on match? Maybe yahoo? I have no doubt I've seen this picture before. The name "mike" comes to mind)
BB: That actually might've been you... Funnily enough, from the picture I think we have emailed before on match ages ago... Which is probably why I thought you looked familiar today!
Attaching a picture of me, to make sure that well, I was the girl you're thinking of as well.
Him: dont know if we talked before -- i guess you do look a little familiar
so, what were you hoping to do/find by looking for me on here -- just wanted to say hello? other??
BB: Thought you were pretty cute. Since I was way too shy to actually approach you, and then regretted not doing anything when I got back to work (plus my lunch time was almost over, so had to rush off regardless), I figured I'd post it on Craigslist as you never know. I'd had never posted anything like this before (and the only time I ever checked the missed connections thing was for good laughs), never expected it to actually work.
Crap, that probably means someone out there is laughing at me now, huh? My t-shirt had a picture of a stick figure spiking a volleyball, and I wouldn't dare to post that on craigslist thinking one of my friends would read "volleyball" and add that to the fact I work in Dupont and think "Haha, that's Beach Bum!"
So how about you, why did you email me back? So, was I who you thought I was?
Him: yeah i understand how you feel and yes i think you are who i thought you were also -- really cute
i am new here in town and looking for some fun and excitement and that is why i emailed you back
(red flags go up a bit "fun & excitement" coming from a stranger, usually means "hooking up")
BB: Where did you move from?
Him: tennessee
BB: How long you been in town? I'm was so sure I've seen the picture you sent me before, but that was a while ago...
Him: couple weeks - actually about a month now -- dont think you wouldve seen me before
did i mention i am really bored and could really use some excitement around this place
BB: So much to do in DC though! You shouldn't be bored! I moved here 3 years ago from NYC, and find that there's tons more to do in DC.
Him: i am bored - never been this bored - and to be honest am pretty lonely also -- which is a bad combo
(red flags go up again...)
BB: Why did you move to DC for? What do you usually like to do?
Him: just for my job - no other reason
i like to play golf, work out
what i really need is a good woman i guess
BB (after an unsuccessful attempt to find the guy on match): Are you sure you're the guy I saw? I'm starting to wonder... I know I saw that picture before, and I know it wasn't recently... And he definitely didn't seem like the lonely type.
Sorry to sound skeptical again... Can't help it though.
Him: i am pretty sure i am if you are skeptical we dont have to talk i completely understand -- you saw my pic if you think i am not the guy then maybe i am not -- up to you though
BB: The picture certainly looks like the guy, no doubt, and too much of a coincidence, I admit. But I've seen that picture before, so that is not adding up. I'm sure you can understand my skepticism, no?
Him: yeah i guess i can -- its cool no worries -- good luck to you
BB: Ok, how about this, do you have another picture of yourself to share? That'll help. If you really are the guy I saw today, then it'd suck to just stop talking because of I'm hard at believing craigslist people (remember, I got quite a few emails saying "it was me" today).
Now what were you doing in Dupont with shorts and flipflops at that time anyway?
Him: i dont have another pic - like i said if you dont think it was me it is cool - no problem - its not worth stressing over
BB: Ah too bad, I really was looking forward to meeting the guy from Cosi...
BB (right after writing the email above): How about this, same Cosi tomorrow around the same time? (12:45?) Then if you were the guy I saw, and I was the girl you saw we take it from there. If not, nothing lost. I'll be running again, and I'll need to grab some lunch on my way back from work anyway.
Him: cant make it down that way again tomorrow - sorry - i think i am done with this now - to much pressure and too much of a hassle at this point - good luck to you
BB: Teaches me for trying to avoid craigslist crazies! Oh well... Good luck to you too.
And that was it. Fuck. Did my skepticism blow it? I know for sure I saw that picture before. For sure. And that was well over a month ago. However, at the same time, he did get the details right. The picture did look like him.
Now I'm mad at myself -- I could have at least met the guy. Right? But somehow I was getting a weird feeling. Until of course he ended the convo and then all weird feelings vanished and I regretted doubting him -- would have been too much of a coincidence sending a pic of a guy who looked just like him, of course! Plus the only detail I wrote in Craigslist was "blue eyes, white t-shirt, shorts & flipflops")
An hour ago I was all excited about this, now I'm upset about it. Man, I'm dumb. But it still doesn't explain me seeing that picture before (I think I winked at him actually).
9/10/07
Missed Connections Fiasco
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
10:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A few points gleaned from the email conversation:
1) That guy gave you zero identifying information about the initial encounter, and when you called him on it, he bailed. I don't think he was actually the Cosi guy.
2) He's boring as hell.
3) Yes, MAJOR "I'm just trying to get laid" vibes.
4) Still boring as hell.
5) There's something there (the picture) that doesn't add up to you.
6) Once again? Boring as hell.
So to sum up, I think this is cause for celebration -- you're not going out with a boring, sketchy, desperate, possibly just looking for a quick fuck (and did I mention boring?) kinda guy. That date would have been a nightmare, and you're lucky enough not to be stuck with it.
Thomas Edision said "We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb," and you, my friend, now know one more guy who's not a good one. Congrats!
Your comment cracked me up, and made my day. You're right, he was boring. That was one of the things that was bugging me, not asking anything about me, just saying how lonely he is and how he wants excitement.
Post a Comment