So I organize a couple of online groups, one is for, you guessed it, volleyball. We always have someone new signing up (we're up to 600 or so members now), but luckily not all of them come out and play with us. There's not much organizing to do, except when I venture into planning a happy hour, but 95% of the time I just post the days and times we play (which is basically everyday, lots of copy & pasting going on).
Of course, being the organizer I have a profile out there, my picture and basic info. You can also check other groups I'm a member of (a few social groups, a cycling group, an adventure group, etc, though I really mostly do things with the volleyball group). People can add me as a "friend" just like you do in networking sites, but of course, this being a site where you do things offline, you only add the people you actually know, people who are actual friends (though I do keep the same frame of mind when talking about myspace and the likes too, but I know tons of people just collect friends). You have an option of adding a little "testimonial" when adding a person as a friend, which emphasizes the "you only add people you know" aspect of it (I get a lot of "dedicated vball player!" and the sorts).
Once in a while, I get an email from a creepy guy, trying to pick me up. I either ignore it, or if it's too creepy, forward to the site's abuse email address for them to deal with it (this is in no way a place to "hook up" it is a strictly activities website with events for whatever your interests are).
Today I get this very weird email through the volleyball group:
"Beach Bum,
I have just joined the group and I am going to update my profile in some time. I completely understand that you dont know me but I really wanted to tell you this and get it out of my system. "You are great". So outgoing, enthusiastic and fun.
Look at you, you are into everything. I am amazed.
Can you make me 50% of what you are.
Look forward to meet you someday.
Take Care
Thank you
P"
And he proceeded to add me as a friend too. Is it wrong that I'm totally freaked out by this? Maybe I should take this as a compliment, but a complete stranger emailing me about how great I am and if he can be 50% of what I am? The hell??? For me, it has stalker written all over him.
Thankfully, the volleyball courts are filled with guys who can probably kick his ass if he does show up. I hope.
Hopefully I'm reading too much into this and he's just a harmless guy with lack of social skills. Hopefully.
3 comments:
From a safety perspective, I think you might be okay. Sounds like he's new to the site, and might not understand the ground rules?
But I don't think you should feel bad. I was just talking about how excessive compliments too early on just seem empty and a little desperate. I'd be annoyed, too.
I hope you're right about being ok. The games are posted online, so of course you can tell when I'll be out at the courts if he wants to meet me! Hope he never comes...
I think he sounds sweet. No, I'm not kidding. I'm a sucker for someone who puts himself out there like that.
Post a Comment