6/6/07

I have no gym etiquette

So I have no gym "etiquette" according to one of the trainers at Sport & Health, who interrupted my workout last week to complain.

I still think I'm right, but what do I know? Feel free to disagree with my point of view, but it ruined my workout and pissed me off regardless.

So I was listening to my ipod and went from one machine to the next. I always cover the seat with a towel, so I moved to the next machine and I put the towel on top of the seat and while still standing took a sip of my water. This guy comes over throws my towel on the floor and sits down. My reaction was a "uh, sorry, but I'm using this" he gets up and start saying some gibberish about circuit (I couldn't understand half the things he said, my ipod was still on and he wasn't very good at enunciating his words, as in not good at all). I do understand that he wants to share the machine with me in between my sets. I look at the clock and I have 10 minutes to go before I'm off to volleyball, already don't have time to do all I have to do, look around me and all other machines are empty, so I tell him
"Can I do my own thing? I have 10 minutes left on my workout, I barely wait anything in between sets as is, and I really don't have time to keep adjusting the seat setting, wiping the machine down and resetting the weights 3 times. I'm pretty quick, I'll be done in two seconds."

So I proceed to do my three sets, waiting even less than I already do in between sets (allowing only for a quick sip of my water bottle), while the whole time he's standing there, arms crossed, staring me down. Again, remember ALL THE OTHER MACHINES AROUND US ARE EMPTY!!!

I move on to the next machine. He does only one set and then gets up again and is staring me down at the next machine again. This is a machine that was available for him to use if he had chosen to do that instead of standing there with his arms crossed while I was using the one next to it. When I go take a sip of my water he interrupts me again, I tell him "seriously dude, I'm in a hurry, let me do my own thing."

Move on to the next machine and this trainer comes to talk to me complaining I have no gym etiquette. I proceed to explain that ALL MACHINES ARE EMPTY, I have a very short time to spend at the gym as is since I have a game to go to after my workout, and I don't even wait the amount of time I should wait in between sets, so it's not like I'm a machine hogger, like a lot of guys you see at the gym. And I wipe off everything after I use it, and I really can't do that 3 times to each machine and readjust the weight, WHEN THE PLACE IS EMPTY.

Of course he goes on and on saying people have their routine (so do I, dude, but when the one I want to use is unavailable, I jump over to the next machine I have to use, then go back to the one I missed like the other 99% of the people at the gym!!!). So this whole conversation takes way too long, I run out of time, and don't even have time to do my sit-ups before I have to run off.

I'm sorry, I know there's a thing such as "gym etiquette" but when you have all the sweaty dudes using up the machines without wiping after themselves, the ones who groan like they're having their legs cut off, the ones who do in fact hog the machines and do 50 sets of 100, or who sit and chitchat in between sets, don't come to me, when there's barely anyone at the gym, because a fucking redneck with missing teeth (and I so wish I was exaggerating here) is upset because his machine wasn't available on the exact second he wanted to use it. On a crowded day? Sure use it in between my sets -- but that's why I go to the gym when it's not crowded to begin with! I'm in the "gym zone" don't mess with my gym zone and ruin all my workout!

And that's my rant for the day. I'm going back to the gym today, that fucker better not be out there or I might pull his remaining teeth off.

2 comments:

Ryane said...

No, that's BS. You don't have bad gym etiquette, the other guy does. I couldn't give a fig what his 'circuit' is--if you are using the machine in a timely manner, wiping it down and moving on, then that crazy guy (and the trainer) need to get a clue. I HATE it when people do that when I am minding my own business. If someone is on a machine I need, I just keep on to the next one and then double back. It's not the end of the world to mix it up, moron!! Sorry to rant, but I relate to this too well!!

Beach Bum said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! I cringe of the thought of going back to the gym and dealing with idiots like this. Way to take the fun out of it, you know?