6/1/07

Online Dating Game

So I've dabbled into online dating on and off.  The first time was in 2002 after my 2.5 year relationship with my college sweetheart ended.  I was over him in a record amount of time, and decided to give online dating a try.  I met tons of guys.  Some I liked, some I didn't, but man, was I busy with dates.  NYC really is a good city for single women. 
 
On that year and a half between my breakup and my move to DC, I had some short-lasting relationships (2 months here, 3 months there), a bunch of dates, and thought online dating was awesome.
 
Then I moved to DC.  At first, it was just as good as it had been in NYC -- met tons of people.  Then I got too busy during the summer hanging out with all my new Czech lifeguards friends (I used to spend way too much time in the pool).  When I got back at it after the summer (after my friends moved back to their country), a lot of the faces were still the same.  Things slowed down, but I still had a new date at least once a week.  Then I met my ex, D (yep, the one I wrote about below, I met through match).  After he left I tried going back at it a couple of times.  I just didn't have the patience anymore to write the same things over and over and over again.  And I had found volleyball (I hadn't played since high school), so I began my obsession with the sport (nothing better for forgetting about my problems like spending 3 hours a day on a volleyball court talking smack).
 
In these 2 years, I tried it again here and there.  I just wasn't patient enough, and wouldn't bother replying to all the emails, even from guys I actually liked!  There was no way in hell I'd risk losing a volleyball day, for a date that could potentially be bad.  So really got a date or two out of it.  I've kept my yahoo account open, but barely get any emails anymore (plus the freebie version doesn't allow for much).
 
I thought I'd never go back to it again.  After all, I know tons of people, meet new people every week (mostly at the volleyball courts) and hang out with a lot of guys.  But here I am, completely single, spent months without as much as going on a date.
 
So on Monday, out of one of those impulsive decisions, I put my match profile back out there.  Keep tuned for updates on interesting online dates...
 
 

3 comments:

Jo said...

Someone should've told me there was another Brazilian lurking in the blog world! You're much more Brazilian than I, but it's still nice to read that point of view once in a while!

Boa sorte with the online dating!

vvk said...

My "Online Dating" story... I got rejected by eHarmony. Yes, they actually told me that they could do nothing with me and that they didn't want my money. The bong page started out like:

Unable to Match You at This Time

eHarmony is based upon a complex matching system developed through
extensive research with married couples. One of the requirements for successful matching is that participants to fall within certain defined profiles...


Apparently I'm abnormal...

Thus ended my adventures in online dating...

Beach Bum said...

Hey Jo, I had no idea you were also Brazilian! How funny!! Way to put Ze Carioca for your profile picture!

VVK: I think I got that email from eHarmony too, but I wasn't a paying member so I just thought it was crap from them because I wasn't shedding the dough. I guess I was just too picky??