So for the last two weeks I've been exhausted. As in I don't want to do anything, I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to go to the gym, I don't want to go shopping.
I get home, I think to myself "I'll stay here for a few minutes then I'm off to the gym" An hour or two goes by, I curl up in bed and I'm passed out until the next morning when the alarm clock wakes me up. First time this happened was last week on Monday after a tiring weekend of driving, it made sense. Then next day I was still tired and the pattern repeated itself.
Can't concentrate and get things done at my job, not getting anything done at home either.
Tried going out with my friends a couple of times, loaded up on Red Bull, but still was too tired to even be interesting. I was so boring I was feeling bad for my friends (I'm not the most entertaining when I'm sleepy!). Sorry guys... I tried to fake enthusiasm as much as I could!
Went to volleyball once in these last two weeks -- making my way there last Saturday. Was tired the whole time but still rode my bike there and back (about 12 miles) and played for 2.5 hours there. Got home and had the feeling like I was never going to get up again. I'm not out of shape, so blamed it on the strong sun that day.
At first I was surprised at my own laziness, but when I realized I couldn't even get out of my house to go play some volleyball (and I NEVER miss volleyball), I knew it couldn't just be laziness.
No other symptoms aside from being completely exhausted for over a week straight, so couldn't pull out the sick card either... I'm not really feeling down either (my job sucks, my body is fat and wobbly, but life is good).
Yesterday one of my coworkers finally mentioned that I might be anemic. Makes sense, I was "borderline anemic" last time I had my blood checked out in January, I've been on a diet for months now (not eating much red meat, if any), so things add up.
So on my way home from work yesterday I bought some iron supplements, already scheduled a doctors appt next week, and am off the diet until Monday, eating some meat until then (not that I've been keeping up with my diet on the weekends, but I did go off the diet yesterday, so that's 4 days straight!).
Have plans to visit a Brazilian BBQ place with a couple of friends on Sunday, so all the red meat should give me some iron overload and put me back to normal.
And I REALLY hope to be back to normal by next week. Yep, I might be a beach bum at heart, but I'm the athletic, active, beach bum, not the lie on the sand until I burn to a crisp beach bum. Don't like sleeping 12 hours a day, don't like missing my gym and volleyball time (it's what makes me de-stress!) and hate feeling like a lazy bum (do you have any idea how I feel waking up at 6:30am and realizing I've been asleep since 6pm the day before and I didn't even feed the cat?).
Wish me luck.
3 comments:
I was VERY anemic in college and ALL I did was sleep. Spinach and Broccolli are excellent sources of iron as well.
Random question, Do you eat ice a lot? Apparently it's a symptom of Anemia.
Hey girl! Hope you feel better... we want you out and about in Arlington next week!
Don't think I'll be back in time for the BBW Sunday, but it would be great to catch up.
Jo: Nope, thankfully no cravings yet for ice. I was reading online and luckily not everyone has that craving (supposedly it's ice, paper and dirt. Ew!). I wonder if being Brazilian I'm predisposed to it -- growing up eating all that red meat and beans a few times a week, then here my lazy ass never gets around to cook these things, it's probably my body's way of not letting me forget my roots!
DT: Thanks! Since I started taking the iron supplements, today I'm feeling better (as in woke up at 9am and actually felt like I had enough sleep and got up!) So if it really was anemia (and I'm sure I got a mild case of it anyway), then the iron is definitely helping it!
By the way, the two of you wrote awesome posts about your dads. It's inspiring me to write one about my dad too... Got until tomorrow, right?
Post a Comment