3/18/08

Let me put my face on...

(First, on an unrelated note, last week I posted my 100th post! Now back to my 101st post...)

I'm not a makeup wearer at all. Yeah, when I go out I like putting some color on my lips, stroking my lashes with mascara, and maybe even using the eyeliner here and there. But you don't see me ever with foundation on. In fact, I use foundation in the place of concealer -- need to hide that undereye circles? Dab some foundation there.

Though I've always worn lipstick, I've never been one who has to put on a face before heading out the door. I have fairly good skin, I can get away without having to hide it.

Except, of course, now, during the winter...

I think my caution with makeup comes from Brazil -- no one wears makeup there on a daily basis. I guess the 100 degree weather is partially to blame. The fact that even missing out on the beach, you're still never completely white helps as well -- yay for tropical sun! Still, it is probably more of a cultural thing, as here in the US, even in the southern warmer states, girls do apply a good coating of the stuff before heading out the door.

So it's safe to say I'm pretty clueless when it comes to makeup. Yeah, I can put some on when I'm going a night out, but it'll still be much less than most Americans wear on daily basis. I always thought that the reason my skin looks healthy is because I don't put much crap on it.

But every winter here in the US, the need to put on blush daily becomes quite clear. I get pasty white, and not the good type of white -- I get white with a yellowish tinge. It makes it look like I'm sick, or that I haven't slept in days. Because I have been quite stressed lately, I am getting more than the occasional pimple, so I have even dabbled with foundation a couple of times.

I know we all have that friend, the one that wears WAY too much makeup, making it look worse than if all her flaws were in full view. I've given hints to her in the past, on the few occasions I've seen her without her "face" on, where it actually looked better than the face I'm used to, but it went nowhere. It's not easy to tell your friend that she just puts way too much makeup on, and it's noticeable, we all can tell.

So every time I put on foundation and/or blush, my last move is ALWAYS to grab a piece of toilet paper and wipe out my face, to take out the excess -- which means 2 hours later, I'm back to my yellowish white self. And, I'm self-conscious the whole time as well -- the lighting here is stronger than in my bathroom, can people tell?

For me the point of foundation/blush, is to look natural, to look like I'm not hiding my face behind a thick mask, and the fear that I'll be one of those, the ones that under the bright light will make people look away, is constant.

Can't wait to get back my summer glow, my rosy cheeks, my tanned face, and yes, even my freckles. But until then, if you see me walking around with too much makeup -- please be kind and warn me. I'd hate to look like a clown!

Shouldn't I know how to properly apply makeup by now?

2 comments:

Bill From Gainesville said...

How did you know I had a friend that puts on way to much makeup? Ohhh I get it, Everyone has THAT friend and if they dont, then maybe its them....

Beach Bum said...

Ha! Exactly!

During the summer a bunch of my friends were talking about crazy people they have dated. Then I said "you know what? I've dated perfectly nice guys as well as jerks and assholes, but none of them were crazy" so one of my friends opened her eyes wide and said "well, so that makes you the crazy one."

Damn.