So a while after posting this blog, about a first date I had, I received my first hate-comment today from of course an anonymous person (aren't they always?), that seems to have a lot of strong opinions.
Go on, scroll down to the comments section, read it.
Yeah, yeah, I know that guys nowadays expect girls to pay for their share. In NYC, guys, regardless if he was interested on a second (or third, or fourth...) date or not, would never let me pay. On the other hand, it was unusual for them to open the car door for me, it was really noticeable when they did.
Here in DC, though I got used to guys I'm dating (at least in the beginning stages) to open the car door for me first when we're walking towards the car (no, if you're already in the car, I don't expect you to get out of it to open it for me, though I do have a friend who does that to every girl, even just friends, which is pretty sweet). However, I don't come to expect it, but notice every time it does happen. So I never take it for granted, but it's a big difference of behavior from the NYC area. One of those chivalrous acts guys do.
And usually, in my experience, they're paying for the first date as well. I mean, it's not like I'm going out and ordering the lobster. And it's not like I have ever failed to offer for my share either. And if a guy pays all the time, I never fail to treat them occasional as well. Or if they pay for dinner, I usually cover the drinks afterwards, etc.
But anyway, the guy going dutch with me, for a $40 bill, when my share was about $12 of that, is something that shocked me. He can't cover my $12, but I'm supposed to cover his $8? How in the world is that right?
But somehow anonymous commenter thought that my rant was wrong. That it means I'm looking for a sugar daddy. Which is freaking hilarious, as everyone who knows me knows I'm far from that. Not that I need to defend myself, but it is still quite interesting how the things you write comes across to people who don't know you. I own my own place for a few years now, live by myself with no roommates as I've had for at least 8 years, pay my own bills, my own debt as well, have a job that though doesn't pay a very large sum, is not a bad job either.
Ah, and that they point out the fact that I'm a foreigner? Considering I've been in the "good ole U.S. of A" as they call it, for over a decade, which is the vast majority of my dating life, I definitely know what I'm talking about, and it's not a cultural thing. I don't even know how things work in Brazil! When I left, the boys I dated were in high school, just like I was. So I have no idea how things work in Rio. Roosh might be able to explain that better than I do.
The commenter also had an issue with the guy not offering to walk me to my car. Yes, I have legs and I can walk anywhere I want, and do so. More than most, actually. But I usually don't choose to walk alone at almost midnight on a weeknight, when I am the only person out on the street.
Regardless of how safe the place is, a chivalrous act, is just that, walking a girl to her car in the middle of the night is a nice thing to do (specially since the distance I was parked from our final venue was due to his change of plans after arrival), opening the door for her when you enter a restaurant (even though we have perfectly good arms and could open doors ourselves), etc. I don't expect you to offer me your jacket when it's freezing out (my stupidity for not dressing appropriately is my own fault), but you'd bet I'd expect you to accompany me on a walk towards my car late at night, the 10 minutes out of your way won't kill you, but it will make a world of difference for me.
On the bright side? At least I'm not dating Mr. Anonymous! I'd probably have a list of things to rant about :)
3/11/08
Ah, my first hate mail!
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
3:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment