3/20/08

Master of Procrastination

Most people when they have to clean their place because they have friends coming over the next night do the following: get home from work and start cleaning, not stopping until it is done.

Or, even more likely: make sure to clean the weekend before, or start cleaning a few days in advance.

Some even do the unthinkable: keep their place clean and tidy at all times.

Me? I've known about this for 2 weeks. I didn't even as much as put that shoe back in its place. Or hang that jacket back in the closet after wearing. Any of these small things would have made the clean up easier. After all, I just went through this less than a month ago.

And this weekend, between hanging out with my friends all Saturday celebrating St. Patty's Day, feeling sleepy all of Sunday for who knows what reason (nope, wasn't hungover) alternating between taking naps and watching Frasier on DVD until it was time to meet some friends for dinner, I also got nothing done. But then I could do them on Monday night, right?

Yeah, no, didn't get it done then either -- got home and finished reading my book. I mean I only had 120 pages left, I HAD to finish it.

Tuesday was gym and volleyball day... And having things delayed because I had to drop off the guy that subbed for us back in Crystal City, even though the game was in Falls Church, and had to go back to the gym to finish my workout certainly delayed things. So was home at almost 10pm. But I could still do some cleaning for at least an hour, right?

Yeah, I didn't do that either.

Which left last night. So I got home and started cleaning my bedroom. Even though I was planning on closing my bedroom door anyway (it's a mess, needs reorganization more than cleaning -- definitely can't be done in one night). So eventually I finally started on the living/dining room. And I decided to put the radio on (usually it's itunes all the way, but itunes wasn't cutting last night).

And then I heard a song I like. That I don't have.

Back to the computer and I googled the words, found the name of the song, searched the great Russian MP3 website, downloaded it, found other songs to download too. Then noticed itunes wasn't able to find some of the album covers. So I got on to searching and copying the covers off Amazon onto itunes.

Eventually I noticed it was approaching midnight and then got cranking with cleaning the mess at hand. At this point, cleaning meant "was just throwing things into my bedroom."

Later I even cut some pictures to fit a couple of frames I have. Because you know, I had all the time in the world. Did I mention it was 1:30am when I decided to get crafty?

A little past 2:30am, I finally went to bed. The apartment? Still a mess. People are arriving at 7pm tonight.

I set the alarm for 6am. It'd give me one hour to clean before it was time to get ready for work. At 6am I had less than 4 hours of sleep so decided to snooze for another half hour. Eventually I finally got up. With 20 minutes left to clean my place.

I am now at work, knowing that I will have exactly one hour by the time I get home to the time people start arriving in order to clean. We're not talking tiding it up here, people. We're talking full-blown mess, boxes (online shopping much?), clothes, shoes, dirty socks on the floor. Clean laundry, yet to be folded, all over the couches.

One hour. And I barely got 4 hours of sleep. And I'm supposed to entertain.

Sometimes I think if I'm just crazy and just like the challenge. I complain that I'm stressed out, but a lot of this stress I think I bring it to myself...

No comments: