Being alone on a holiday weekend, I had a choice to go out, run errands while everyone else spent time with their families, or become a hermit, inside my own apartment, not dealing with the fact that the family I have, including the little bit I have nearby, are all far away.
Somehow, it was not a conscious decision, it kind of just happened... And after not having seen a movie for over 2 months, I had a movie-marathon weekend. It started with one movie, then my player was in constant use, movie after movie after movie. I do have a ridiculous number of DVD's after all (more than anyone else I know), and too many I have yet to watch.
So here's a list of all the movies I've seen this weekend, and my mini-review of each, because, well, I'm sure you're dying to know what I think, right? (By the way, spoilers ahead...)
Running with Scissors
You know those super-quirky, weird as hell, what really is the point of the story, sort of movies? This was one of them. Surprisingly, based on a true story, which is hard to believe, considering there is not one sane character. The characters were, however, too mentally unstable for me to be able to relate to any of them. I was pretty bored during the movie... It was supposed to be a comedy, I just found the whole thing pretty depressing.
Bobby
I didn't know much about Bobby Kennedy's story, but I knew that he had been shot, after all, the Kennedy family is all cursed and full of tragedies. The movie basically runs through the course of the day of the actual shooting, ending not long after the shooting. There are tons of famous actors some more well known, others not as much, but familiar faces nonetheless (hey, that's Rico from Six Feet Under!). I loved the movie, it was very touching, and I definitely shed my share of tears.
National Treasure
I think I saw this movie before. I was not totally sure, but a lot of the scenes I saw it coming, or I had the feeling I'd seen that scene before. Either there is a very similar movie to this one out there, or I have in fact seen it. But you'd think I'd remember it? I checked and I didn't own the DVD already (yes, I have bought DVD's I already owned before. Now I keep a list... I told you I have too many). Overall, the movie was ok, but nothing to write home about. Guessing things like "now there'll be a big tunnel under the church" as if I had definitely seen it before was a bit weird.
License to Wed
Remember when Robin Williams was funny? Though I loved seeing The Office actors there (Jim! Angela! Kevin! Kelly!), and I harbor a crush for John Krasinski (who doesn't love Jim?), the movie was a waste of time. Robin Williams was not funny, there was no chemistry between John Krasinski and Mandy Moore, they were the most boring couple I've ever seen, and it was just blah. Total waste of time...
If Only
With Jennifer Love Hewitt. Another absolute waste of time. The movie was boring, the story unconvincing, and it's probably the only movie I've seen where one (and in this case both) of the main characters die, and I don't even shed a tear. Boring and completely bad acting.
Into the Wild
I LOVED this movie. I had no idea what the story was about prior to watching it. Didn't even know it was based on a true story, it first caught my interest because I knew the soundtrack was by Eddie Vedder. I could totally relate to Alex Supertramp's love for nature and the outdoors. I spent the whole movie envying his courage of taking a chance and just exploring the world, being with nature. I sometimes feel like I'm too materialistic, and would love to go out in the wild for a few weeks, with no responsibilities, and just adventure. Of course, I have no survival skills whatsoever, and wouldn't last a day on my own in the wild, but one can dream. Finding out it was a true story at the end of the movie was heartbreaking. I definitely recommend this movie.
No Country for Old Men
I had high hopes for this one since the reviews had been spectacular (it won an oscar after all). Maybe it was overhyped -- I always have a tendency to get disappointed by overhyped movies. But I just didn't get it. It wasn't a bad movie, but it certainly didn't leave me in awe of it. Maybe I'm stupid, but I really didn't get it. At the end of the movie I was left with a "What? WTF?"
I am Legend
I actually liked this one. Really creepy seeing my beloved NYC in shambles like that, with animals running wild. But great sights of the city regardless, specially of places where I used to be around daily (Union Square station! Times Square! Flatiron Building!). Maybe it's because I love Will Smith, but I really enjoyed this movie. Sure, it's not artsy-fartsy, but it kept my attention through all of it. And boy did I cry when the dog died...
So somehow I watched eight movies in 2 days. My weekend couldn't have been more relaxing. My bedroom, on the other hand, is still an absolute mess... I gotta finally organize it at some point!
3/23/08
Movie Marathon
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
11:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow! That's a lot of movies.
Running with Scissors the memoir is AMAZING.
The movie is crap. I hated it.
I loved I am Legend also and I am not one for huge budget movies but it had a really good emotional and scary sensibility. Really good!
And lastly, No country. I saw it on a preview weekend before all the hype and I thought it was amazing until...
...the last 30 minutes (without giving anything away to people who have not seen it) when you find out what happened to Llewelyn.
I WAS SO PISSED OFF because until that point I thought it was really amazing filmmaking and sense and scary in a really unique way.
Made me pissed off about a lot of things about the movie.
I enjoyed Michael Clayton more, honestly. And Into the Wild.
And There Will be Blood.
vvk: When I say movie marathon, I am not kidding :)
kassyk: I agree with you about No Country -- I was really enjoying it until the last half hour or so when it all became pointless.
I haven't seen Michael Clayton or There Will Be Blood yet -- but both are on my shopping cart on Amazon.com for a future purchase.
No Country was bollocks from start to fininsh. Most overrated movie ever.
Post a Comment