Within 3 minutes of watching the Superbowl game on Sunday, at the first Superbowl party I attended that night, I turned to my friend and said "This is the most I've ever watched of football. In my life. Collectively."
Yes, boys and girls, after over ten and a half years in the US, I hadn't as much as watched more than 3 minutes worth of football, ever. 3 minutes being real time, by the way, not game time either.
Much to my surprise, the game grabbed my attention, my eyes were glued to the TV. Once my friend explained a bit of what was going on ("they just take the ball and run, right?"), my interest piqued.
I had never really made any attempt to watch the game, despite having attended other superbowl parties in the past. If I really didn't care about any of the teams, chances are I wouldn't have paid attention to this game either. But I couldn't help but root for the Giants, they were my neighbors for so long, after all.
Of my almost 7 years in the NYC area, I have always lived in Northern Jersey (before you judge me, I used to be able to get home at least 30 minutes before my college boyfriend, who lived in Queens, so there!). Of these 7 years, almost 5 were spent in Rutherford, a two minutes drive (maybe one?) from the Giants Stadium (at the Meadowlands, which is basically East Rutherford).
I've seen many concerts at the Stadium and at the Continental Airlines Arena (or whatever it's being called today). I also cursed them out a lot, when stuck in traffic a mere mile away from home, but having to sit on Rt 3 for over a half an hour because of all the football fans blocking up the road, trying to get to the Stadium.
So when I watched them last night, I had to root for them, and was eager to get to the other party during half-time before the game started (and was successful at it!).
Watching them turn the game around during those last two minutes was glorious.
Soccer will always be in my heart (I don't think you can't get a Brazilian passport if you're not a soccer fan). Because I dated a Yankees fan for most of college, I can kick it with others while a baseball game is on as well. Seems like now I can also enjoy a football game, who knew?
I've been to Maracana to see Brazil playing, I've been to more Yankees and Mets games than I can count (and have caught the Red Sox at Fenway before too), I have been to the US Open, I've had seen the Rangers a few times at Madison Square Garden (thanks to my boss who had season tickets, and shared with the rest of us), and seen the Nets play back when they always lost a game.
I have yet to attend a football game. Now that's a good resolution for 2008. It's many months away, but maybe I can plan an outing once the season starts up again? I have a feeling these girls might just be up for it...
2/4/08
Football is actually exciting. Who knew?
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
11:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As the other lovely lady discovered, football tix are insanely expensive - but if we can snap some up on the cheap, count me in!
I'm glad you had a good time - AND that we got to hang out, again!
I know they're expensive, which is why I actually never got to see a game (back in NYC I had looked into it). But maybe we CAN find something on the cheap... Fingers crossed!
Post a Comment