I'm one of those that though I live in Arlington, I think MD is soooo far away. But if I'm invited to a party there, I rarely say no to. Also, if I were to meet a cool guy who just happens to live in MD, I don't see myself saying no, just because he is too far -- it's just a matter of getting used to it.
So you can imagine my surprise when I met a guy, who I liked, who liked me, but once we finally got on the phone to discuss going to drinks one of these days (the first date since we met among friends a few weeks ago), and he mentioned how me living in Arlington, while he lived in Herndon was too far. It would be a problem -- a similar situation like this was why him and his previous girlfriend broke up.
Needless to say I didn't like the comparison... First, whatever he had with his ex, cannot be compared to what he'll have with me -- we're different people for god's sake. And though it may be true that distance would be a factor at some point or another (let's say if we got serious and wanted to shack up), he couldn't really make this judgment now, before getting to know me. He might get to know me and not even like me (or vice-versa) so the distance thing wouldn't even be a factor.
And I don't mind driving far if I have to -- I never have. Now, that I no longer drive to work, and take the unreliable metro bus into DC every morning, spending more time in the car doesn't bother me. So when I was busy the two Fridays he suggested, I mentioned how we could meet up during the week, and how I wouldn't mind driving to Herndon and getting a drink there (I mean, they must have bars in Herndon, right?).
That option wasn't good for him -- he gets too tired after his commute, that he just wants to stay home and relax. Fair enough -- my schedule is planned around my volleyball games, so who am I to judge what people do on their free time? (And when I lived back in NYC, I used to be the same way, just wanting to go home and veg after a long day at work and commuting, so I can't really judge.)
But when I offered up by email a way for us to be able to meet that Friday (see, I can be flexible), I never got a reply back. So, needless to say, I highly doubt I will hear back from him now.
I know the distance was the main factor -- just for the fact he brought it up in a "I've had this conversation too many times" way. A bit too much baggage there, of course.
But not even giving me a chance? Because we live a few cities apart? Now that's just silly.
I choose to live life with no regrets, and if I see anything there, I always give it a chance, despite the minor obstacles that might be there initially. Shouldn't we all?
2/27/08
Geographical Distance
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
12:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Um. Would you really want to get involved with a guy who's so self-involved at the beginning of something, that he can't make an exception to his "relaxing" plans for the sake of meeting up with a really cool chick?
Yeah, didn't think so. He's already shown you that he's not going to be the guy you want. Next! :o)
That was my thought -- even mentioning the distance like "this is the reason my ex and I broke up" was a bit like jumping ahead of time -- we're talking a drink here, not lifelong commitment! Let's take it one day at a time first.
I didn't blame him for the relaxing plans much -- he really sounded like it's been a tough month, but I can only be so flexible, you know?
Next!
I'm confused. He offers up the excuse of being "too tired after his commute", but he can meet up on Fridays? Doesn't he work on Fridays?
I think the whole Herndon - Arlington thing is just a cop out. I have a hard time believing that if he met someone he was REALLY into, but lived a few cities away, he'd be offering that as an excuse. It also sounds like he might be a last minute booty-call kind of guy, wanting to be in such close proximity to someone.
Just my 2 cents...
Next! ;-)
I assume the whole Friday thing is that you can sleep in the next day -- I know I'm up for going out on Fridays, but you rarely see me at a mid-week Happy Hour, even when I don't have volleyball.
I do agree that if you hit it off with someone the distance shouldn't matter -- with him sounded like because the first meeting was hard to arrange, he won't even bother trying to find out if we will hit it off or not (we only met once briefly through friends -- I caused enough of an impression then, but that was weeks ago...)
Post a Comment