I don't write emails. I write stories.
Somehow that just dawned on me yesterday. I was always aware that my emails are incredibly huge, as I tend to type way more than the average person... but it wasn't until last night that I figured out why. They're not emails. They're stories, and that's just the way I write.
So I sent this boy a fairly long email where the main point was inviting him to a party I have tonight. He had suggested meeting on Friday, but between my volleyball and the party afterwards, I wasn't available. So he asked me to text him in case the party wasn't good and I wanted to do something else. Sure, that works, the party might suck for all I know.
It wasn't until we hung up the phone that I realized that he could come to the party with me... It's a party thrown by one of the girls I play volleyball with, who I haven't seen in months. I never hung out with her outside of volleyball, so I don't know her that well, don't know any of her friends, and only recognized one name on her whole guestlist. So, I figured, it's not a very intimidating situation -- it's not like all my friends will be there.
So I sent to him an email asking if he'd like to come. And I explained the situation above, ya' know, so he would see that it's not awkward, but I went into details, because when I write emails? To anyone? I go into details.
Of course, this was on Tuesday night, and I have yet to get a reply, which makes me think that not only the answer is "no" but that he has absolutely given up on the idea of going out with me. And true, my long emails can be interpreted as being too much. But at the same time, it's how I write to everyone.
It crossed my mind yesterday how I could have sent him something short like: "Hey, I don't know anyone at the party I'm going to, would you like to tag along? We can always go somewhere else if it's not a good time." But when I was typing the original email, a quickie like this never crossed my mind. I typed a long rambling instead.
So I'm not completely surprised that he never replied -- a rambling might seem a tad too much. I still think it's rude as fuck, don't get me wrong, as an "I'll think about it" "Sure" "I made other plans already" would suffice instead of complete silence. But sure, my email might've scared him off. And though I do have a tad of regret for writing far too many words, at the same time, if he can't deal with my stories, then it is probably for the best too. Because just like my blog posts here, that are naturally lengthy in nature, my emails are also never concise.
And if you can't deal with my too many words? Then you are definitely not a good fit for me. I won't cry over spilled writing...
2/22/08
Storyteller
Posted by
Beach Bum
at
10:51 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment