2/26/08

R.I.P. Dagny

Yesterday, over very sad news, I heard of yet another blogger who is closing shop.

Yes, Dagny Taggart (or as she calls herself "Darth Vaguer" -- which is very accurate), of Seeking John Galt, has retired her blog.

I started reading blogs about a year and a half ago. I was a lurker at first -- never commented, not for lack of what to say, but because I wasn't ready to comment on anything just yet.

Then, a Blogger Happy Hour was planned.

I forgot who started the conversation, but until then I didn't even know Dagny was a blogger. But in a couple of email exchanges I found out she had been one for a while -- and though I didn't use to read her blog at that time, I was, funnily enough, reading the blog of the guy she was dating. And of many of her friends.

Since the invitation for the HH had the incentive of "start a blog, get a free drink on me" by INPY, it didn't take much for Dagny to convince me and the now also retired Cheerful Cynic to start our own blog and join her at the HH.

And that's how things started. During that time, CC posted tons of funny blogs, which she later deleted for the simple fact that people she knew and talked about (like her ex-husband) started reading. Then she started posting again, but once a boy from her past appeared in her life and swept her off her feet, she wasn't much of a cynic anymore, and she stopped blogging.

I have also written things I regretted, that I wrote amidst emotions, which ended up hurting close friends -- CC was one that got hurt by one of my now deleted posts (which I admit was overly dramatic). To this date I regret writing it, as our friendship never got back to normal, and now we rarely see each other -- though our busy schedules are also to blame, I know it's not the sole reason for it.

Seems like now Dagny is also tired of being vague, but for the risk of hurting people she might regret later, she decided instead to stop writing (at least here in the blogger world) for good.

I will miss her daily posts, and her incredible vagueness -- we have a few friends in common, and 99% of the time, I have no idea who or what she is talking about, but it's always fun trying to figure it out. She is an incredible writer, and will surely be missed.

It seems like lately I only keep in touch with her through this blog -- she knows what is going on with me, and vice-versa, by reading each other. Dagny, you better come out of hiding -- if I can't have your ponderings in cyber format, we need to meet up for drinks more often!

All the best in your endeavors -- and see you at the next karaoke/St. Patty's Day Party/HH!

You better keep in touch!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Awww... wow! Thanks so much - that's whole bunch of lovely things you said, just then.

And yes - we will have to do a better job of keeping in touch offline.

Of course, if you weren't always at volleyball... ;o)

*hugs*

Beach Bum said...

Yeah, yeah, blame it on volleyball, sure :)