2/27/08

Chivalry is dead?

So despite having an "active" profile on match and chemistry.com for a few months, I haven't actually made a date out of it in a long (looooong) time. I am really bad at replying to emails, and my schedule (have I mentioned I play more volleyball than it's considered normal?) is not really conducive to planning mid-week dates.

I finally canceled my membership to both those sites, but was able to get a date out of it, last week.

The guy was shorter than I expected -- no, he didn't lie on his profile, I have guy friends who are also 5'8" but they somehow seem bigger than him, he was on the petite side, if that makes sense. Of course, the 3" heels I was wearing didn't help things... He was however, pretty cute. Had a cute accent. Was pretty interesting. We had great conversation. He mentioned going out again. I'd said I'd be up for it.

But there are two things that were big turnoffs that he did that night...

First, I had 2 coronas. He hadn't eaten, so he ordered an appetizer and offered me some. I took a piece of it, but he ate most of it. He had two drinks -- not beer, mind you, drinks, that usually cost more than beer. The bill came, I only had a $20, so I told him, "I only have a $20" and threw that in. He put in another $20 and called it a day.

Here I was thinking "WTF?" First, since he suggested the date and the place to meet, I already think he should be paying for the first date. Sorry, call me old-fashioned or downright cheap, but I think that it's the girl's obligation to offer, the guy's to refuse. Specially when he clearly makes a lot more money than I do (something not hard either, but pretty clear in this case).

So somehow we went dutch, when my part of the bill only came out to 12 bucks. Some damn expensive coronas that turned out to be. Since we exchanged numbers not soon after that (for some reason we hadn't done so before meeting up), I know that it wasn't a "I didn't like her" thing, as he was the one who asked for my number before leaving.

Then strike two against him... We had originally planned on meeting in one place, I parked my car near that place, but when we met up, he suggested walking a couple of blocks to another bar. Not a problem. Now when we left, he asked "where are you parked?" I said I was by where we had met, so he said "I'm parked over there" and pointed to the lot a block down, and we went our separate ways.

Sorry, but a guy who won't offer to walk me to my car at 11:30pm at night?? Ugh. Not good. Don't get me wrong, the place we were at wasn't dangerous by any means, but come on. It was two blocks, it wouldn't have killed him. Even my guy friends would have likely offered (and I would have offered them a ride back).

He had other redeeming qualities that if he calls me again, I'd likely say yes. But don't really see us being anything other than friends...

Am I ever going to find a cute, athletic, not geographically scared, chivalrous guy? *sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really bad at replying to e-mails? Tell me about it! ;-) That's why I closed you out on Chemistry not too long ago...

Lemon Gloria said...

Yes yes yes you will! You might just have to sift through a bunch of mediocre guys first. I am OK with splitting the check - although it really does surprise me from a guy on a first date. But I do think he should have walked you to your car, particularly at 11:30 pm!

And thank you for the nice endorsement! :)

Anonymous said...

"First, since he suggested the date and the place to meet, I already think he should be paying for the first date."

Whobidawhat? Now, I don't know how you peeps kick it down in Rio, but here in the good ole U.S. of A, you have a choice to make, my dear. You can stay at home, tending to the cooking and cleaning and such, be precluded from entering the workforce, and in return, we will coddle you and pay for your drinks. Or, you can decide to be treated like an equal member of society - you can play co-ed volleyball, get a rewarding job, and the right to vote. But you seem to want a bit of both, when it is to your benefit.

Why is it that some of these gold diggers demand to be treated with respect, but when it comes to pulling their own weight, they get all straight-up 1950's and what not? You went out and consumed resources, just like he did. When the bill comes, it’s time to pony up! Seems pretty simple to me.

And why stop with the drinks? You used gas to get to the bar, didn’t you? Maybe Shorty-McShort Shorts should have given you a gas card at the end of the night, as well. Moreover, I presume that you wear make-up. Maybe he should have headed over to Macy’s beforehand, and paid for you to visit the Prescriptives lady.

And as far the car goes, you have legs, don’t you? If they can carry you up in the air to spike those volleyballs, why can’t they carry you to your car?

BTW – Beauty and the Geek starts up tonight. It’s going to be awesome. Plenty of beautiful women who want the geeks to bend over backwards for them – you should check it out, sounds like something you might be into.