2/24/08

Please enlighten me!

So I'm going to put a transcript of a couple of text messages here, and I want the opinion of the people who actually read my blog (I know there's only like 2 or 3 of you, but even if you never commented before, please comment, I want your HONEST opinion). Texts are prescribed exactly, with exception of "X" for obvious reasons.

Me: "Was talking to X about going over to either kitty o'sheas or o'sullivans in Clarendon for drinks around 9 tonight. Let me know who wants to join us."

Reply (an hour and a half later): "Not sure let me know what you decide."

Me: "kitty o'sheas, I thought I said it on my text? I should be there with X at 9"

Reply: "Why did I even text? I should have known I would get some crap back."

Ok, granted, I forgot I had put the two options on my original text, I was awaken from a nap when I got the new text. When I went back to check it after receiving the "let me know what you decide" text (because I honestly couldn't remember it, hence the question), I looked over my sent folder and saw that I had put two options.

Now here's the thing -- I still don't see absolutely anything wrong with my text. Even if I hadn't been napping before sending it, even if I hadn't checked back on my sent messages, even if I hadn't put the two options, I still don't see anything wrong with what I wrote to get the reply I did. I wasn't even going to include this friend on my text about drinks, but since I was in charge of sending out the text messaging, and this person is also a friend of X, I figured I should be unbiased (it was a mass text to about 20 people).

I regret including this person in my original text, but can't regret sending my follow up text, because for the life of me I cannot see what I wrote that caused this person to be incredibly pissed off like that (there were other follow up texts back and forth when I was taken aback by the reply, that I won't get into, but let's just say it got a lot worse from there, ending with "I don't ever want to talk to you anymore" said to me after a couple of inquiries of "how in the world can you twist my text to take offense in it?").

So for those of you reading this, please give me your honest opinion and tell me if my text is actually offensive? For those of you who know me, and might not feel comfortable replying under your name, feel free to comment as anonymous, I don't care, I really am still dumbfounded by all of this, and really want to know if I really am this clueless at my age, where I can't understand the reason for this anger because of a simple question "I thought I included on my text?" (because honestly, when I wrote that, I didn't even remember if I had included it or not, but even if I did remember, I still don't see the reason for such a bad reaction).

So dish it out, let me know, honestly, what you think. Apparently I'm a bitch, even when I'm on a cheery mood like I was today. (Of course, this was enough to ruin the rest of my day, and is now past 2am and I'm still going over and over this on my head and still don't get what I wrote in those few words above that was cause for such reply.)

Thanks!

3 comments:

boardgurl said...

I'm just a lurker...but I don't think there was anything in your text that should have provoked the response you received. The person obviously wanted to stir something up....

Beach Bum said...

Yeah, the people who have emailed me so far seem to agree that there's obviously something else there, and it was just an excuse to pick a fight.

Good to know that no, in fact, I'm NOT losing my mind :)

Anonymous said...

I agree (for the most part) with the first commenter. While the "I thought I said it on my text" line might not have been necessary, it's nothing the person you sent the text to needed to blow up about.

Clearly he/she was looking for a reason to start a fight, and picked that line to start it.